chicken run and chicken tractor

bs288

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 1, 2011
Got my first chicks and ready to turn an old shed into the coop. We will have a run but would also like to have them move around the yard. Not comfortable letting them free range. We were thinking of making maybe 10x10 from pvc to move around the yard. This may sound like a dumb question but how do you get them from the run into the portable run?

Some people just scoop them up and place them into the tractor. You could build it in such a way that you can butt it up against the main chicken coop door and then toss some food into the tractor. The hungry chickens will go in on their own and then you close the tractor door and move it away.

I herd my flock. You'd be amazed at how quickly they pick up the routine, especially if you throw some scratch into the tractor and they figure out that if they go where you want 'em to go, they'll be rewarded.

I use something long in each hand to guide them, usually the poop scoop and litter pan from the coop, but I've used those pool noodles a time or two, also. Most of the time, moving the flock is pretty easy except for Wrong Way Scooter. You can guess how she got her name.

Quote:
clap.gif
lau.gif

I'll have to remember that name...

Yea, I think the easiest would be to "BRIBE" them with food - tractor backed up as close as possible too the run.

Back
Top Bottom