Chicken Run Design Questions

BrendaJune

Chirping
Feb 19, 2018
Wellington, NV
We are in the middle of building our chicken run. Our coop is inside a run that is about 16' x 16'. Should the door to the run open in or out or does it matter?

My husband wants to build the run with half the roof being solid and the other half with only 1/4 hardware cloth. I don't think it is necessary to have the solid roof since the coop is raised off the ground 2 1/2 feet so they can go in the coop or under it for protection from rain or snow. What say you?

Run door opening outward saves a lot of hassle.

If there is a large snow you can still get in.
If a bird is in distress no worry about shoving/crushing her by pushing in.
If a predator tries to get in the door (built right) won't push in.

As to the roof.....mine appreciate a dry area created by roofing. They always have a shaded area that way too.

I did find hardware cloth allows snow to build up and sag it inward. Put enough support under that it won't collapse. Chicken wire on top allows more snow to fall through instead of build up. if the flakes are huge It will build up on chicken wire too though. It does keep hawks out too.

Last edited:
Yup, I would definitely say that outward is better than inward on the door. My entire run is roofed(but it's only 14' x 6') if the run is under a good bit of shade the roof typically becomes a little less important but some area out of the rain and possible snow depending on your location is something that will make life a little sweeter for your feathered friends. If you wind up going the uncovered route on most of the run Amazon sells some aviary netting that works great for keeping hawks out and is very affordable. I don't use it but my father in law does(he has a much larger run w/ no roof) and like the chicken wire I don't think it would hold the snow like 1/4" hw cloth although since we live in TN we know very little about that. Good luck with your run:thumbsup

Mine opens inward... my thought was that it would push chickens out of the doorway as I came in. Then last year happened and we got a lot of snow over a few weeks. Had to inch open the door, clear a bit, inch again, clear more, etc. just to get into the run... nothing like panicking in the morning because the chickens are waiting for breakfast and I can't get in the run!

Roof would be nice if you can afford it as it provides shade, snow/rain cover, and predator protection well beyond any netting.

I don't think it is necessary to have the solid roof since the coop is raised off the ground 2 1/2 feet so they can go in the coop or under it for protection from rain or snow. What say you?
How big is coop and how many birds?
I think in your climate you're going to want all the shade you can get.

Mine opens inward... my thought was that it would push chickens out of the doorway as I came in. Then last year happened and we got a lot of snow over a few weeks. Had to inch open the door, clear a bit, inch again, clear more, etc. just to get into the run... nothing like panicking in the morning because the chickens are waiting for breakfast and I can't get in the run!

Roof would be nice if you can afford it as it provides shade, snow/rain cover, and predator protection well beyond any netting.

Back
Top Bottom