Chicken Run Door. Is Yours an Inny or Outy?

Mine swing open both ways -- in and out.
big_smile.png

....inside the coop, I have a feed storage area and the coop area. That door opens out, into the feed storage area.

Last edited:
into the run it is a inny with 6 inch kick board so as to allow swing if mess under it.wide and high enough to get wheel b in and out.
coop door swings outy and door is tall enough to get wb at edge for cleaning.

I've been pondering this same issue. I already have constructed the door which will go in the gap to the far left. (You can see there is no board at ground level where the door will go.) The framing will be encased in 1/2 inch welded wire which I will also bury at the base. I plan to pour a concrete slab under the door and extend it out a couple of feet. My dilemma of in vs. out is complicated by my plans to cover the floor with sand up to the top of the bottom board that surrounds the run. Either way I guess I will need to construct a box around the inside so that the sand will not spill out the door. And then, a wheel barrow will not go in easily without a ramp of some kind. I wish I had thought of this eariler. I would appreciate any suggestions.
Runframing.jpg

Quote:
Great looking setup. If it were me, I'd have the door on the run opening out. Esp since you want to have a nice cement pad outside the door. This will guarantee you a nice even surface all the time for your door to open over. Even though my doors swing in and out, I mostly use them as an "outty" door. I only use it as an "inny" door if the goats are hot on my heels and I want to slide on into the run before they catch up to me!
big_smile.png

ours opens from the inside of the coop, and is an 'inny'. we did it this way because our run is a few feet away from the coop (connected with a bridge for the girls) so it was easier to do it that way

Out because the run is pretty small (4.5' x 5') and the ramp to the coop gets in the way.

Schroder, I would put a board at ground level where the door is, mine has it and it is great to hold in all the leaves, bedding, and such that I throw in there. Also, the girls are messy and a sill keeps in some of the bedding they kick out. Beautiful coop, though, looks good enough for people to live in!!

Back
Top Bottom