Chicken Run Extension

Hi. I currently have a 4 ft by 8 ft henhouse with a 14 ft by 8 ft run with 10 chickens (2 New Hampshire, 4 Buff Orpington, and 4 Barred Rock). In Mid March I have 7 more chickens arriving (various different breeds of polish chickens). My henhouse Is plenty big enough with TONS of roosting bar space but I'm a little concerned about my run size. My run is sitting on pressure treated 2 x 4s with 6 ft tall 2 x 4s vertically holding up a roof made of more 2 x 4s covered with chicken wire. Also, the run has a predator apron around the coop. .

4x8 might be tight for adding 7 more birds to the 10 that are already there.
Integration works best with 'extra' space.
But might depend on the layout of your coop and run,
can you post some pics, inside and out?
....and your climate.
Welcome to BYC!
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2019-2-20_17-36-21.png

Just follow the rule of thumb for sq ft which is 4 sq ft per bird in the coop and 10 sq ft per bird in the run. Can house in two different coops since different ages as well and share a run. For 17 birds if share coop/run need 68 sq ft in coop and 170 sq ft in run. Your current coop is only made for 8 birds. Could put the 7 new ones in there and build or buy new for the 10 previous with shared run. This way you recognize 30 day recommended quarantine when adding to flock just a thought. :)

Hello and welcome to BYC!
17 birds will be tight in a 4x8 coop. That's the size I have and it's tight with 11. You might want to consider a run and coop extension.
But as @aart suggested, pictures of your current setup with surely help.

With the coop I have now, the chickens are always out in the run rain or shine. The run is where their food and water is as well as a bunch of extra fun things I've added so they only go into the coop during the day to lay eggs and roost at night. I'll take some pictures and post them when I get home

With the coop I have now, the chickens are always out in the run rain or shine. The run is where their food and water is as well as a bunch of extra fun things I've added so they only go into the coop during the day to lay eggs and roost at night.
That is basically the same behavior as my flock.
It's the roosting at night part where all the drama and the majority of the pecking happens! It's gets pretty rough trying to find a place to sleep then you are getting pecked in the face jockeying for a spot.

I have a 4x8 coop and a 12x8 enclosed covered run. 7 hens. This works. I extended to include a fenced area that is roughly 20x50. But a recent fox checking out the hens has them stuck in the run. That is my way of saying I think 17 chickens in a 4x8 at night and to eat and drink is probably pushing it.
But you asked about extending the run. I am considering doing an additional 8x12 run beside the original. This will give a run of 12x16. I will leave the wall up between the extension. Add a few chicken doors. That will allow chickens to get away and hide. This addition will hopefully allow me to add 4 additional chicks and not crowd them. That is my two cents.

Back
Top Bottom