Chicken Run Fence "Greening"

Red-Stars-in-RI

Crowing
10 Years
Mar 24, 2014
Rhode Island
I have a pretty sizable run built with standard welded wire fence.

I've built raised flower beds around around the outside of the run fencing. These help keep the run compost in the run, pretty things up a bit, and give me a place to use some of the chicken run compost. I have some of this planted out with a few flowers, and an area with a lot of mint growing.

Yesterday, I planted 23 cascade hops rhizomes up against the fence. My hope is that will flourish in the fertile chicken compost and grow up the fences, giving us a bit of a "green wall" in the summertime between backyard and chicken run.

Hey, and if I ever decide to brew beer again, I'll have more hops than I could ever use!

Have you planted anything as a "green wall" around your coop? What'd you plant? How'd it work out?

Every year I plant pole beans on the south side of my run. It works out great. The chickens aren’t really interested in these plants which grow fast and produce not only shade but lots of green beans.
I start them on the OUTSIDE of the run, w small mesh pieces protecting the young plants from curious pecking.

I have a pretty sizable run built with standard welded wire fence.

I've built raised flower beds around around the outside of the run fencing. These help keep the run compost in the run, pretty things up a bit, and give me a place to use some of the chicken run compost. I have some of this planted out with a few flowers, and an area with a lot of mint growing.

Yesterday, I planted 23 cascade hops rhizomes up against the fence. My hope is that will flourish in the fertile chicken compost and grow up the fences, giving us a bit of a "green wall" in the summertime between backyard and chicken run.

Hey, and if I ever decide to brew beer again, I'll have more hops than I could ever use!

Have you planted anything as a "green wall" around your coop? What'd you plant? How'd it work out?
I have a moon flower green fence before I got my chickens now I have to dig up the moonflowers because I discovered they are toxic to chickens (well, everything, really).

Back
Top Bottom