Chicken run fencing?

kadota48

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 4, 2013
Hi, im finishing up the inside of my chicken coop and the run, and i wanted to know what the best type of fencing is for the run?
I have owls and other meat eating animals around my house and i heard some of them can rip threw regular chicken wire.
Any suggestions?
Thnks:)

We went with 1/2" x 1/2" hardware cloth. I was more worried about a raccoon reaching through chicken wire and pulling the chicken apart. It happened to a friend.

kadota48-Here is a picture from our game camera. This raccoon visits our backyard nightly. Our chickens are lock up safe in their coop. We always use 1/2" hardware cloth.

What you need to use on the run depends a lot on how secure your coop is at night and what daytime predators you have. My birds are locked up very securely at night so my run is made of chainlink dog kennel panels with a shade cloth cover to deter hawks which are my only daytime predator. This works fine for me and was much less expensive then doing the whole run in hardware cloth.

hi guys, i havent been on her in a long time due to school and my part time job keeping me busy day and night.
I have been adding on to the chicken run attached to the coop and i have put chain link around it.
Here in Tennessee there are some chicken hawks that like flying around checking out what they can snatch real quick. And like i said in my first post, ive heard the some predators can rip threw chicken wire..what would be a good idea to keep large birds out?
Also, would it be a good idea to put wire mesh around the bottom of the chain link to prevent snakes or other animals that could fit threw those holes from getting in?

Back
Top Bottom