Chicken Run Flooring

smcmillan1

In the Brooder
Mar 5, 2018
Celina, Tx
Hello Fellow BYC'rs! Happy Monday

So my question is on the flooring of my chicken run. Right now it's just on grass and I expected the girls to have destroyed the area by now down to dirt but they haven't. Should I lay down anything until they do? Sand or something? The grass is just not starting to turn green so maybe they will be interested in it then? I dunno. The picture below is of
chick.jpg
my black australorp and the current flooring situation.

What is the reason you want something different than the grass in the run? This might help others make suggestions.

Also how big is the run and how many chickens? This might make some things more or less practical.

It actually looks pretty nice. Most people would be jealous of your situation.
The phosphorus from feces may be killing the grass. Has it rained or any other reason grass isn't green in TX this time of year?
If it were me, I might put some straw down to retain moisture.

It rained this past week for about 3 days. I think my yard has just been a late bloomer this year! My main reason for something is because of the poop clean up. I've got 7 girls right now and know that I will need a bigger area once they are full grown, just waiting on my bonus at work so I can get some fencing for them or the chain link dog kennel.

There are lots of styles of poop management. Personally, I leave it in the run with my natural soil and let the girls scratch it and break it down and compost it in place. There is no grass left in the run. I do plan on expansion so they have access to grass on occasion without destroying my whole yard. Others are at the opposite extreme and scoop each individual poop daily and dispose of it.

I have a 4x8 portable coop(tractor) and I plan to build a portable 3 sided 8x12 run to attach to the tractor. About every other week, I'll move the run and tractor to fresh grass. I have a 1/2 acre fenced back yard. I'm just outside of Waxahachie and my yard is now green with all the rain. Bobcats and hawks are not allowing free ranging unsupervised.

I agree with what PirateGirl and GracieJ said. My grass is just starting to turn green here in North Texas, but no grass left in my chicken run! I was looking through my photos from this summer when my grass was all nice and green and lush, and our chicks were 1-3 months old. H Your chicks look a little young still - enjoy that grass while you have it!

Back
Top Bottom