Chickens like to dig holes to make their dirt baths. If you have hardware cloth on the bottom of the run, they won't be able to that. I also heard that hardware cloth on the bottom of the run may increase the chance for them to get bumble feet.

We use apron with 18 in on top around outside of the walls of the run and 18 in on ground with ground staple. (if you get 4 ft wide hardware cloth, you can build 2ft on top and 2ft on the ground which will be even better!).

There are two windows on the back of the coop
It has 4 nesting boxes inside.
we planned on adding sheets of grass on top of the hardware cloth in the run. Then when they destroyed it to add pine shaving.
The plan was for them to never get to the hardware cloth.

Sod is grown with an intense use of chemicals (and some actually incorporates plastic netting). It's not good for chickens.

Chickens dig intensely -- mine frequently dig down far enough to sink to the level of their backs, especially when seeking cool layers on a hot afternoon.

The inside. Of the coop will be similar to this. (Different flooring) so there is more than 2 windows.

Best measure the windows to make sure that there is enough square footage. But even so, ventilation is needed most at roof peak level because heat and ammonia both rise. :)(

Chickens like to dig holes to make their dirt baths. If you have hardware cloth on the bottom of the run, they won't be able to that. I also heard that hardware cloth on the bottom of the run may increase the chance for them to get bumble feet.

Yes, this.

An exterior anti-dig apron is better.

The inside. Of the coop will be similar to this. (Different flooring) so there is more than 2 windows. And I was incorrect. It only has 3 nesting boxes. (I have 5 chicks at the moment) depending if they are all hens that’s all I will have. If any are Roos the number decreases. Also I think I got bantams 🙈 at least that’s what I was hoping for. lol.
This is a nice coop. I'm very new to all of this, but it "seems" like the sod (then eventually wood chips) over the hardware cloth should work. The Root system of the sod, even after the grass is destroyed, should remain as a barrier from the hardware cloth, correct?

This is a nice coop. I'm very new to all of this, but it "seems" like the sod (then eventually wood chips) over the hardware cloth should work. The Root system of the sod, even after the grass is destroyed, should remain as a barrier from the hardware cloth, correct?
So far so good. It’s only been a month but I can see new grass growth in spots.

Back
Top Bottom