Chicken run in winter

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MainelyChicken, Oct 30, 2013.

1. MainelyChicken

MainelyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    Wells, Maine
    My Coop
    Hi, i live in southern Maine and have a question about my run. It is 12 x 16 and surrounded by fencing, and i added a 4' high tarp all the way around to keep out the wind. Question is, should i add hay and/or pine shavings to the ground to make it more comfortable for my chicks while resting in the run and out of the wind???

2. LBejaran

LBejaran Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2013
    Deep South Texas
    I would definitely recommend putting out a thick layer of hay to create a nice layer between them and the cold ground. Something I do when I'm worried about my birds getting cold (despite living in the south), is building a little burrow out of hay where they can hide away and keep warm. You can take a box, cover it with hay, and lay out a good layer of hay inside the box. It gives them a little nest to hide away in and, if several make a home there, they'll keep nice and toasty. I did the same thing for my rabbit when he was alive. It created a good place for him to sleep and stay cool/warm when the need arose.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by