Chicken run running out of grass!!

jamietidwell

Chirping
11 Years
Aug 7, 2008
canton, ms
My chickens have 100 foot run and it is just about all dirt now. Was lush grass just a few weeks before the chickens got it. How do I get the grass to grow back or is it a done deal? I pretty much figured grass seed was just food unintended. I cut fresh greens and grasses out of the field for them daily since they don't get to free range much due to neighbor's new dog. (yum...chicken) Is it once it's gone that's it. I'd perfer them to have grass. But if that's the case should I use sand or something or just leave the dirt for scratching? Any ideas?? thanks.
hmm.png

I wish they wouldnt do that!!
Ive had luck placing wire mesh onto sections so they cant scratch up the roots, at least it has a fighting chance of staying alive, especially if you water it regularly.
You only need to do it to one section at a time.
Good luck.
frow.gif

We have a double fenced coop so we can let the chickens spend part of the afternoon in the second run ..... But not so much that they kill everything in there too. We used 4X4 post and welded wire and the cost to do the outer fence was very reasonable.

You will find it impossible to grow grass back and just be careful with giving them grass clippings. When chickens free range, they usually just take the tips of the blade of grass. If giving them longer clippings, they are harder to break down since they don't chew and can block up thier crop. You can grow grass in shallow tin pans if you want, and put tehm in from time to time for them to get at.
Just a thought.

yeah, that grass is gone for good. I moved my run this past spring and the grss in their old area still hasn't grown back. The good news is if you ever need to clear sod from an area you know how to do it!

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I just clip the tops of the grass and cut up the long stuff to their size to eat. I'll have to try the pan idea. I thought about getting a pallet of sod grass next season.....

Quote:
Wish I would have known about wiring the bottom. I still have a section I can do that to though. I haven't let them into that part yet. Good thing I didn't do that today. I'll try the wire mesh out for that side.

Yup, it's a done deal.

Unless you live where it is wet (rainy) a lot I'd just leave it dirt for them to scratch around in. If their run is under water a lot then I hear people use sand to help with the mud issues.

Can you build a second run and switch them back and forth? I made my coop and run moveable so I can move them around.
idunno.gif
caf.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom