chicken run with tree inside

linbee

Chirping
9 Years
Jun 11, 2010
I am expanding my chicken run and could go in 2 directions - one way has a nice tree that will give shade in the summer and one has nothing. What I am worried about is that with the tree inside, could predators use it to get to my chickens? Anyone have any thoughts? I live in South Texas, so summertime heat is pretty brutal - they are usually huddled under a shade area that I put up for them.

I think so, I've had trees right outside the run and coons have used it to get inside. I'd also imagine that the tree would be a good perch for hawks/eagles to overlook their next meal

Hi,

My coop has a tree inside and my chickens love it both to climb on and eat the fallen leaves. We've only had a predator get a chicken once. Our coop used to be separated into two parts, one "outdoor" one with the tree and then adjacent was a more secure, covered coop with a door leading to the tree portion. Now our coop is no longer separated and we put strong wire across the top and nailed it into the tree to prevent, as best we can, predators from getting in. We also try to lock them every night in their hen house at night just in case. Hope this helps and my explanation makes sense. I would definitely try and use the tree if you can.

I have Italian prune fruit tree outside the run. The chickens love to eat the fruit. It best if the tree is outside so they don't kill the tree by digging around the root. The tree also provide shade during summer months.

Last edited:
I say go for the area with the tree. We built our enclosed run extending out from an old 4 x 6 shed. There is a small mesquite tree just outside the shed, so when we attached the hardware cloth we made sure to attach it close to the tree trunk. (we used wire, not wanting to nail into the tree). The wire is really close to the tree and nothing larger than a lizard can get in there. The chickens love the shade and the two Sicilian Buttercups could climb it when they were 3 weeks old!

Thanks. I have pretty much decided to enclose the tree. They all go inside at night so I'm hoping that will give me a little less to worry about. I

I'd go for the tree shade too....just put the walls of run far enough away that 4 legged predators can't use them to gain access the tree.

I am expanding my chicken run and could go in 2 directions - one way has a nice tree that will give shade in the summer and one has nothing. What I am worried about is that with the tree inside, could predators use it to get to my chickens? Anyone have any thoughts? I live in South Texas, so summertime heat is pretty brutal - they are usually huddled under a shade area that I put up for them.
Any type of raptor will use trees to perch on to check on their next meal.

Pro's and Con's are equal in my opinion...

Best of luck whichever you decide.
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom