Chicken run

Tatertot3

Hatching
May 6, 2020
Hey guys need some help/advice. I’ve been having a bear issue so I’m going to upgrade my run to a dog kennel that is going to be a 10x30x6. I’ve got 10 chickens. Will this be enough room for all them in the run. I do plan on letting them free range as well so they won’t be in there 24/7. Thanks!

I am certainly not an expert but from what I have learned on BYC so far the recommended size is 10sq feet per bird in the run so by that recommendation you would need 1000 square feet and the proposed size is only 300 so it seems like it’ll be pretty tight. But I think it would depend on how regularly they are allowed to free range (like every day for several hours? Or only occasionally?

10sq feet per bird in the run so by that recommendation you would need 1000 square feet and the proposed size is only 300 so it seems like it’ll be pretty tight.

Your math is off. 10 chickens x 10 sq ft is 100 sq ft, not 1000.

300 sq ft is certainly a good size for 10, though if they're used to free ranging all day they may complain a bit at first.

Yes the plan will be to free range everyday once I get them use to being in the coop and run. My 4 grown hens now I guess have “PTSD” from the bear that killed 4 of my other chickens so they want nothing to do with it so they are 100% free range now but once I get the kennel set up and reinforced I’ll get them back in there and hopefully comfortable and cozy again.

Back
Top Bottom