Chicken Run

krkroust

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jan 15, 2009
What is the best way to seal my chicken run,made from chain link dog run?Can I use welded wire or hardware cloth?

Hardware cloth placed approx 4' high around the bottom of the pen would work well. Will prevent anything from reaching in and grabbing your chickens. Also burying approx. 36" skirt around the outside of pen on the ground and cover with dirt will prevent anything from digging under.

Before we put anything up we put two long runs of chicken wire on the ground and I sewed them together with the wire that is wrapped around the rolls. We then set everything on the chicken wire and brought it up the outside of the dog run all around....zip-tied it all the way around and THEN we put the hardware cloth (4' high) over that and zip-tied everything together. Hardware cloth works great up the outside walls of the dog run and doesn't allow anything to get in or the chickens to get their little heads out (unlike the chicken wire.......ask me how I know.......
sad.png
We also did the same thing with the chicken wire that goes over the top of their coop and completely covers the run as well as going down the sides a bit. After we got all of this done we put dirt and tree grindings on the floor of the run at about 5 inches deep. It's worked well as the chickens can have their dust baths any time but can't dig out and NOTHING can dig under and in. The girls really dig deep holes for their dust baths.....probably because they can. I love the dirt floor for the girls and it's easy maintenance for me. I go in every now and then and fluff the soil, may mix in some leaves and also let them scatter stuff around. Everything is biodegradable including their poop. I use Muck boots inside the compound. We've tarped the run now so that the ground stays dry for them and they can still do their thing in the dirt. They freaked when some snow blew in so I just went out and fluffed everything and they were as happy as little clams again. I am very happy with our setup. I hope this helps someone somewhere
love.gif

Last edited:
big_smile.png
hmm.png
I use hog rings to attach my wire togeather.These are small metal clips that you can get at TSC or Farm supply place.You need to get a pair of pliers but I find they hold good,won't brake,and have security where plastic wire ties can fail or deteriate in time.

Back
Top Bottom