1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. Stuart77047

Stuart77047 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 14, 2011
    I know the coop needs a roof to keep out rain, but does the chicken run need a roof to keep out rain? Would it be ok to just cover the run in chicken wire? Is it better to cover the run and use the deep litter method?

Thanks,
    Stuart.

2. Flock Runner

Flock Runner Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2011
    it kind of depends. you normally don't need a roof unless the ground has a water proof base and would fill up like a swimming pool. most of the time the rain either runs off or is soked up by the ground. you might want a small house or a wind shield though in the middle of the run. it keeps the birds comfy and makes them want to leave the coop and run around more. [​IMG]

3. Flock Runner

Flock Runner Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2011
    oh, also [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    I covered mine because I'm on clay and that acts quite like a "swimming pool-like base". I put down a layer (1") of sand and tarped. Hasn't rained yet since I finished that, but it should be sufficient.

5. CheerioLounge

CheerioLounge Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    California High Desert
    My run is about 2/3 covered with 60% shade cloth over the chicken wire. Of course here in the desert we don't have much rain, so water pooling is not a problem. In the summer, I double the shade cloth and hang another on the sunset side of the run to keep it nice and cool!

[​IMG]

eta: image

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
  6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    [​IMG] Mine isn't covered but I do have shade tables for the birds to get under in the summer heat and they get out of the rain sometimes too. I have wire around the tops so they can't get on them and poop. Before I put the wire up they would get pretty poopy.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

7. georgiagail

georgiagail Chillin' With My Peeps

What we did (in the summer we added shade cloth):

[​IMG]

Gail

8. joan1708

joan1708 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    DFW - mid cities, Tx
    nice run georgiagail! I'm going to put a "suntuff" roof on my chic run, and put shade cloth over it in the summer. I think it will make the chicks more comfortable.

9. kannna

kannna Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2010
    Martha's Vineyard
    Ours is covered but it isn't that big 6 x 10. It lets the girls outside and keeps them dry. I use the deep litter method in the run and house. Shavings start in the house and then move into the run for continued breakdown. But, if that all gets too wet it can get stinky [​IMG]

10. DinosRBirds

DinosRBirds Hunted by Moonlight

Feb 1, 2011
    Lake Huron,MI
    I have runs on both sides of the coop, one is covered by chicken wire & tarp, but they prefer the open topped one....
    the open topped one has wire in 1' squares to keep birds out..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by