Chicken saddle disaster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by hannakat, Jan 28, 2011.

1. hannakat

hannakat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Beaver County, PA
    I finally made a chicken saddle to put on Gabby to cover her and let the injury from the rooster continue to heal. I caught her and put it on then set her down, and immediately the rooster attacked her. We thought he was going to kill her. She finally got away from him and ran into hiding. I caught her and removed the saddle, then caught him and kept him busy for about 10 minutes hoping he would forget about her looking foreign (which he did).

She hasn't laid an egg since we found her injury and also determined she was broody (last weekend). Prior to all of that she was laying an egg a day. I got her to get out of the egg box by putting her in the snow but she hasn't laid and egg since. Maybe too many things?....injury, broody, mean people interfering. What a day [​IMG]

2. ginormous chicken

ginormous chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2011
    Elverta, California
    I'm sorry. [​IMG] I've heard that those saddles do help! If it helps, I was trying to catch a chicken and hit my head so hard on the base of the treehouse at I saw stars! Now am sitting here responding to posts with an ice pack on my head thinking, "Dang chicken!" The saddle does help her recover and the roo roo will get used to it.

3. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    It sounds like the roo is far too aggressive. I have several hens that over the course of the summertime need these saddles...the roos usually don't even bother them with those on. Is he a new maturing roo? Maybe he needs to be isolated for awhile??

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Broody hens do not lay. The hormonal cycle she will most likely go through is 8 to 12 weeks before resuming egg production.

5. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    I have saddles on several of my hens. My 3 roos pay them no attention. Sorry your poor hen was attacked [​IMG]

6. hannakat

Jun 5, 2010
    Beaver County, PA
    Quote:Oh my goodness! I hope you didn't end up with a goose egg! [​IMG]

Seriously though, I hope you're okay!

~^,,^~

7. hannakat

Jun 5, 2010
    Beaver County, PA
    Quote:He is about 10 months old and is proving to be aggressive. He took an absolute, instant fit and attacked her. She is his clutch mate (right term?) and she adores him and follows him around and looks to him for everything. For that reason, we've hesitated making a decision regarding his immediate future. I did tell my DH, while I was holding the rooster, that the day might be coming a lot faster than what I'd hoped.

8. ginormous chicken

ginormous chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2011
    Elverta, California
    Have a Goose Egg! The DH confirmed it and did this :[​IMG]
    So understanding huh!

Seriously though, move the roo roo, and try the saddle again.

9. axion_lotus

axion_lotus Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2011
    Central NC
    That poor hen! [​IMG] So sorry she got attacked.

If there's anything I can't stand it's a mean rooster! [​IMG] If I were in your place I'd be furious!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by