1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken Saddle

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Pampered Hen, Feb 15, 2009.

1. Pampered Hen

Pampered Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Vermont
    My flock of 7 hens is beginning to show bare skin on the lower back just above the tail. Obviously, the roo likes his girls plenty...
    I have been looking at numerous posts about saddles to protect the girl's skin from the rooster claws, but have been wondering which saddle designs seem to work best for your chickens.
    I also would like to know how long it will take for the girls to regrow their feathers.

Thanks!

2. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    The link in my sig has two different patterns. One is a sew pattern and the other a no sew. They both seem to be commonly used and liked.

Feed them a good source of protein (I would recommend BOSS[black oil sunflower seed]) and it will help them grow their feathers back quicker. I would give them several weeks.

3. kycklingar!

kycklingar! Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2009
    Linköping, Sweden
    FarmerKitty, you are WONDERFUL! I just did the no-sew one in seconds, and my dear Winifred looks so much happier!! It's so cold out, and the fleece must be making her back much warmer. Thankyouthankyouthankyou for sharing!

4. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    You're welcome but, I put that page together because of the demand there seems to be for the patterns all the time. All I did was keep watch for the patterns people were using and finding effective and put them into one place to make them easier to find.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by