Chicken scratch poultry

Has anyone had luck with started pullets From Chicken Scratch Poultry?
I ordered 4, and now have found some pretty negative reviews….kind of concerned at this point.
I know this is an old thread, but if anyone is still interested in a review from Chicken Scratch Poultry...

I have Black Copper Marans, Cream Crested Legbars, and 55 Flowery hens from Chicken Scratch Poultry. Angie is lovely to deal with. I will say, her birds are reasonably priced and on the higher quality end.

I will note the Legbar eggs having more green tint than I want but the birds themselves are exceptional. The Marans eggs have a lovely brown, more 4-6 with an occasional 7 on the color scale, tending to fade and speckle with age. The quality of the Marans birds has been fair. One of the roosters recieved was all black and they all tend to be lanky with large combs.

The 55 Flowery laid large white eggs very regularly. She's also quite pretty.

All in all, the birds were very healthy and on their site they say they regularly test for different diseases chickens are susceptible to. I'm considering ordering more Cream Crested Legbars if I can't find a bluer line that matches the bird quality I got from her.

The two roosters eating together are father (black) and son. I'm planning to cull the father this spring in favor of his son.

The 2 darkest eggs are from a Marans from a different breeder.

Attachments

• 20230117_144539.jpg
    20230117_144539.jpg
    664 KB · Views: 12
  • 20230119_134653.jpg
    20230119_134653.jpg
    482.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 20230120_122334.jpg
    20230120_122334.jpg
    604.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 20230123_105620.jpg
    20230123_105620.jpg
    418.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 20230119_135519.jpg
    20230119_135519.jpg
    490.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 20230117_145215.jpg
    20230117_145215.jpg
    255.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 20230119_134843.jpg
    20230119_134843.jpg
    350.7 KB · Views: 10
I know this is an old thread, but if anyone is still interested in a review from Chicken Scratch Poultry...

I have Black Copper Marans, Cream Crested Legbars, and 55 Flowery hens from Chicken Scratch Poultry. Angie is lovely to deal with. I will say, her birds are reasonably priced and on the higher quality end.

I will note the Legbar eggs having more green tint than I want but the birds themselves are exceptional. The Marans eggs have a lovely brown, more 4-6 with an occasional 7 on the color scale, tending to fade and speckle with age. The quality of the Marans birds has been fair. One of the roosters recieved was all black and they all tend to be lanky with large combs.

The 55 Flowery laid large white eggs very regularly. She's also quite pretty.

All in all, the birds were very healthy and on their site they say they regularly test for different diseases chickens are susceptible to. I'm considering ordering more Cream Crested Legbars if I can't find a bluer line that matches the bird quality I got from her.

The two roosters eating together are father (black) and son. I'm planning to cull the father this spring in favor of his son.

The 2 darkest eggs are from a Marans from a different breeder.
Might have gotten araucana eggs yesterday. Still waiting on my marans to lay hers though

All 8 of mine had Mareks.All pullets.
4 then 1 year later ,4 more .She said it was a fluke of bad luck.
first 4 all heart Mareks .all lived 1 year.one had no eggs,3 had eggs,then stopped.
Second four are alive,at 21/2.one is mostly blind,came that way,and got paralyzed ( later 2 weeks)was treated lot Mobil abx,and if present she gets more.
One has permanent weak legs, but, gets areound,no eggs.
2 must stay daily on Mobil to keep symptoms at bay.the other 3 have eggs sporadically.
That farm does not incubate after Mareks vaccine so ,it is useless.
I have NEVER had one Mareks on any of my properly. Vaccinated hens.
All 8 came with serious bought caccioosis ,need sulfa 2 days,gone.Mites as well.
Remember,Mareks never leaves a farm.She admitted she knew why I had problems,told me after second batch that there was Mareks commonly.
Besides being so cruel to all she breeds,it takes a terrible toll on those who care for them so much…

Last edited:
All 8 of mine had Mareks.All pullets.
4 then 1 year later ,4 more .She said it was a fluke of bad luck.
first 4 all heart Mareks .all lived 1 year.one had no eggs,3 had eggs,then stopped.
Second four are alive,at 21/2.one is mostly blind,came that way,and got paralyzed ( later 2 weeks)was treated lot Mobil abx,and if present she gets more.
One has permanent weak legs, but, gets areound,no eggs.
2 must stay daily on Mobil to keep symptoms at bay.the other 3 have eggs sporadically.
That farm does not incubate after Mareks vaccine so ,it is useless.
I have NEVER had one Mareks on any of my properly. Vaccinated hens.
All 8 came with serious bought caccioosis ,need sulfa 2 days,gone.Mites as well.
Remember,Mareks never leaves a farm.She admitted she knew why I had problems,told me after second batch that there was Mareks commonly.
Besides being so cruel to all she breeds,it takes a terrible toll on those who care for them so much…
That doesn't surprise me, i had some die from Mareks in a flock that I put my pullets I got from her with. My other birds in different pastures have never gotten mareks so I suspected it was her birds

To sharkboy,
10-14 days with no contamination after vaccine.
isolated,not fed or visited by people with other chickens.
If I get 1 days old vaccinated,!,they spend 3 weeks ,apart from main area of adult chickens,I do extra week.but,even 10 days is pretty good.
I must wash change clothes before visiting vaccinted chicks 3 weeks,then their immunity should be good.I keep in upstairs bedroom door closed,window closed too.You visit morning,clean,then later after changing.
they have never caught.
But,a farm that is covered in Mareks ,even 1 days could be contaminated by same person who does all chore.
Better to buy big hatchery,they much stricter protocol.Usually workers can’t own chickens.,if the place is any good.

To sharkboy,
10-14 days with no contamination after vaccine.
isolated,not fed or visited by people with other chickens.
If I get 1 days old vaccinated,!,they spend 3 weeks ,apart from main area of adult chickens,I do extra week.but,even 10 days is pretty good.
I must wash change clothes before visiting vaccinted chicks 3 weeks,then their immunity should be good.I keep in upstairs bedroom door closed,window closed too.You visit morning,clean,then later after changing.
they have never caught.
But,a farm that is covered in Mareks ,even 1 days could be contaminated by same person who does all chore.
Better to buy big hatchery,they much stricter protocol.Usually workers can’t own chickens.,if the place is any good.
Yeah, but what does the vaccine have to do with incubating eggs after it's given?

Back
Top Bottom