Chicken scratching at leg bloody

haejungkim

Chirping
Feb 14, 2017
Please help. My 5.5 month RIR just had fowl pox, respiratory illness, antibiotics and was getting pecked and now is scratching her own legs. Can you take a look at the photos of her legs and let me know what it might be? It's irritating her so she's pecking at it so much that it's bloody. There are also raised scales. Could it be leg mites?

Thanks in advance!!

1) What type of bird , age and weight : RIR 5.5 month 1.69 kg (underweight)

2) What is the behavior, exactly: scratching her legs bloody.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms: 1 day

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms: no
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma: blood on legs, isolates herself, not much of an appetite,
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation: I think it started with her getting pecked.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all: a little.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? Runny with green bits.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
2017-06-22 17.28.40.jpg
2017-06-22 16.57.05-1.jpg
2017-06-22 16.55.30.jpg
2017-06-22 16.56.15.jpg

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use

I'm sorry your girl is ill.

My first thought is she is not done with the fowl pox, which can hit any area of the body.

She will also continue to pick at the spots until you put something on them like BluKote.

But there is definitely something still amiss (such as the fowl pox) as she is not eating or drinking well and her poo is definitely off....that could be from the antibiotics, so feeding her some yogurt could help with that.

Antibiotics won't help fowl pox as it is a virus; it has to run its course. However, antibiotics can help with any secondary infection. Continue TLC with vitamins and electrolytes in water. Yogurt with scrambled eggs for strength. See how she does.

LofMc

Back
Top Bottom