Chicken seems sick, but I don't know whats wrong

Henfla

Songster
Apr 29, 2022
Tromsø, Norway
I came home from work and went into the coop with some salad for the chickens, and noticed that one of the girls didn't come down from the perch, so I took her inside. She seems very sleepy. She ate some mealworms that I gave her.
She has had bumblefoot under both her feet since june last year, and I have been at the veterinerian with her feet and he said it was healing okay, and after months of bandaging on and off I did let it just be for a few months because there was no sign of active infection (but I was observing it closely) and then it formed a thick scab again that I removed a few weeks ago and put on antibiotic ointment and she has been wearing bandages again until now. It still doesn't seem to be an active infection and it looks much better than ever before, so I don't think that is her issue right now.

I felt her crop and it felt very soft like it was full of water, so I massaged it and after that it made som noises and now it doesn't feel like it's full of water anymore.
Her poop is watery and white, like she hasn't been eating alot today.

Can it be her crop that is the problem? Or her feet? Or something else?

Does she lay eggs? Have you noticed a bad or sour odor from her beak? I would stop any whole grains or seeds, and feed her a small amount of chicken feed plus a lot of water mixed in. A spoonful of plain yogurt daily is okay. Watery egg is okay too. If you can get miconazole cream or suppositories, this may be used orally to treat a sour crop. Check her crop daily in early morning before she eats.

Does she lay eggs? Have you noticed a bad or sour odor from her beak? I would stop any whole grains or seeds, and feed her a small amount of chicken feed plus a lot of water mixed in. A spoonful of plain yogurt daily is okay. Watery egg is okay too. If you can get miconazole cream or suppositories, this may be used orally to treat a sour crop. Check her crop daily in early morning before she eats.
Well, she just laid an egg on my lap right now, so maybe that is what has been troubling her.. but she still stands on my lap sleeping

That is very nice that she laid an egg and is now back to normal. Do you have crushed oyster shell available in case she needs a little extra calcium?

Back
Top Bottom