1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken seizure and death

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Rancheletti, May 3, 2015.

1. Rancheletti

Rancheletti New Egg

May 3, 2015
    One of my Red Ranger roosters had a violent seizure and died immediately. I examined him and all I saw was that he had blood in his mouth. No previous signs of illness. Any ideas what this could be?

2. blondvet

blondvet Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2012
    North Carolina
    I'm sorry I can't answer your question, but I sure wish I could. I've had that happen twice to apparently healthy roos (hens are all normal) in the last 3 months. If you find out anything (or if you already have), would you please let me know. Thanks!

3. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    Welcome to BYC, Rancheletti.

I am sorry for your loss... it's never easy, but especially when they go so suddenly that we don't even get a chance to help them.

Seizures can be caused by a number of things... Injury, age, toxins, poison, ingesting lead shot/paint, moldy/rancid feed, congenital defects... Without a necropsy, there really is no way to know.

Would you consider performing a necropsy on your bird? Particularly the crop and gizzard? If he swallowed a sharp piece of metal, that could explain seizures and blood in the mouth.

If you have another bird experience these symptoms, I would place its body in the refrigerator wrapped in plastic bags and contact your local vet for information on where to send for your state's USDA office to perform a professional necropsy. It's free, outside of shipping costs (maybe $6ish?), and you will receive a copy of the results, so you can have an idea of what to treat for (if anything) and have a plan for your flock moving forward.

Again, I am so sorry your rooster passed this way. Hopefully, it will be a one-time occurrence.

MrsB

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by