Chicken semi-paralyzed, legs seem functional but cant stand.

Remiel

In the Brooder
Feb 15, 2021
Manitoba
She is a 9 week old Brahma, first found last Friday paralyzed and lethargic on the floor of her coop. After a few days of force feeding her moist medicated chick feed and giving her water with poly-visol in it she became much more alert and lively. She now eats and drinks on her own as long as food is in reach.

Her main problem seems to be that she can't balance herself or stand. I've felt along both her legs but found nothing unusual and she does push herself around with both legs and also grip with her toes but immediately falls over if I try to stand her up. Both of her wings seem to work as she had no trouble flapping them though the right one she usually has folded farther over her back. She also keeps her head folded over her back and will even twist it farther to face over her left side but will refuse and fight against me turning her head straight and then to the left and also doesn't like being put on her left side and will flip herself to lay on her right. While sleeping her head often twitches just the slightest bit every few seconds.

I thought it was vitamin deficiency at first because one of her clutch mates had the same sudden paralysis and unresponsiveness a couple weeks ago. That was healed within a week with some extra feeding and poly-visol but while grooming her pin feathers last night I did find a spot of black crusted stuff on the back of her neck just below her skull though her feathers were too thick to tell if there was an injury there and she wouldn't hold still long enough for me to get a good look. The chicks did have access to an outdoor run that was fully fenced though but there are birds of prey in the area that have gone after some of our other birds.

If it is a skull injury is there any hope of her recovering? She tries to get around still and eats and its only been a week so I'm hoping not to have to cull her. I'm also willing to look after her even if it might take a month or more to recover.

Attachments

• 20210619_165329.jpg
    20210619_165329.jpg
    265.5 KB · Views: 35
She is a 9 week old Brahma, first found last Friday paralyzed and lethargic on the floor of her coop. After a few days of force feeding her moist medicated chick feed and giving her water with poly-visol in it she became much more alert and lively. She now eats and drinks on her own as long as food is in reach.

Her main problem seems to be that she can't balance herself or stand. I've felt along both her legs but found nothing unusual and she does push herself around with both legs and also grip with her toes but immediately falls over if I try to stand her up. Both of her wings seem to work as she had no trouble flapping them though the right one she usually has folded farther over her back. She also keeps her head folded over her back and will even twist it farther to face over her left side but will refuse and fight against me turning her head straight and then to the left and also doesn't like being put on her left side and will flip herself to lay on her right. While sleeping her head often twitches just the slightest bit every few seconds.

I thought it was vitamin deficiency at first because one of her clutch mates had the same sudden paralysis and unresponsiveness a couple weeks ago. That was healed within a week with some extra feeding and poly-visol but while grooming her pin feathers last night I did find a spot of black crusted stuff on the back of her neck just below her skull though her feathers were too thick to tell if there was an injury there and she wouldn't hold still long enough for me to get a good look. The chicks did have access to an outdoor run that was fully fenced though but there are birds of prey in the area that have gone after some of our other birds.

If it is a skull injury is there any hope of her recovering? She tries to get around still and eats and its only been a week so I'm hoping not to have to cull her. I'm also willing to look after her even if it might take a month or more to recover.
I would start to tie her two legs with a rubber band and a straw like how you would treat a chick with splayed legs and see if she can hopple also try if netro drench work espically cause her head is twitching. Also get a better picture of the black crested wound on her neck. Also what did you feed her before

Tried to brace her legs and she still just immediately pitches over to the right. She will push down with her legs and try to move if I hold her body up but the second I remove my hands she tips to the right.

Have ordered nutridench for Monday and tried taking some picture's of the black crusted stuff, hopefully this helps.

Edit: She was on medicated chick feed previously, she collapsed just before they were moved to their bigger coop with grower feed.

Attachments

• 20210619_203226.jpg
    20210619_203226.jpg
    282.8 KB · Views: 27
  • 20210619_203330.jpg
    20210619_203330.jpg
    255.4 KB · Views: 28
Tried to brace her legs and she still just immediately pitches over to the right. She will push down with her legs and try to move if I hold her body up but the second I remove my hands she tips to the right.

Have ordered nutridench for Monday and tried taking some picture's of the black crusted stuff, hopefully this helps.
Yikes even im not sure what that is looks like a wound I would clean it with vetcrin or hyrdo proxide and cover the wound.

It's been about a week now and she still isnt even attempting to walk and now just sleeps all day other than when I'm feeding her. Her beak and feet have also gone pale so I'm not sure if shes getting enough nutrition? She gets scrambled eggs in the morning and noon with nutridench then moistened medicated chick pellets in the evenings. She also gets head shaking fits in her sleep that last anywhere from a couple seconds to a minute.

Is there any hope for her or am I just prolonging the inevitable? She doesnt seem to be putting on any weight at all despite only sleeping and eating and cant tell if her poop looks normal with some undigested bits. If this is a chance of being just a temporary hurdle I would rather not cull her but if she is just suffering and going to get worse I would rather end it now.

Attachments

• 20210627_140923.jpg
    20210627_140923.jpg
    570 KB · Views: 24
  • 20210625_160336.jpg
    20210625_160336.jpg
    442 KB · Views: 19

Back
Top Bottom