Chicken Showmanship Tips

SinseaChicken

Chirping
Jun 2, 2018
Hi! I'm 12 and my family got chickens very recently. I have three hens. I'm interested in showing them but I have never shown anything in my life. Here are some specific questions I have, but anything helps.

Are there any important rules?
Are there any special dietary needs?
Do I need to train my chicken to do anything?
How will the chicken be judged?
Are there any differences depending on your age?

I have an RIR. She is the same age as my other birds (4 months) but is half the size of them. Will her size affect anything?

Noodles does not enjoy being picked up, occasionally bullies the others and is very loud. She makes a noise like the child of a broken air raid siren and a kazoo. Clementine is very small but very smart. She is OK with sitting on your arm but she hates being held with her wings pinned to her side and is flighty. Winifred is reasonably affectionate, is OK with being handled and is slightly dumb as she swallowed my earring recently (We got it figured out). Which of my chickens should I show?

Clementine
Winifred
Noodles

The first thing you should do is go to a poultry show to see what it is all about. Talk to some exhibitors, especially those with the same breeds you have.

You can get a copy of the American Poultry Association 'Standard of Perfection'. That is the guide judges will use for specific breeds. If you can't get one, some breed clubs have the SOP listed on their websites.

Is there a chance the RIR is a bantam? If not, that will be a problem. Size is one of the important characteristics. Judge your birds yourself comparing to the SOP. If they deviate in a substantial way, you'll be wasting your time taking them to a show. Showing birds is a fairly complicated process and they should be quarantined when brought back home.

You need to train them all to be handled. They shouldn't be skittish when people approach the cage. They need to present themselves to the judge when they approach the cage. You should bathe the chickens about 3 or 4 days before the show. Aside from conforming to shape and color, they need to be in good condition and in good feather. Feed them the most nutritious fresh feed you can find.

There are differences if it is a 4-H or FFA show compared to a major show

Last edited:
For type showing (where the judge judges the birds in their cages), it is important to have a bird that fits the Standard of Perfection. But showmanship is completely different. Your bird does not have to be perfect show type to show in showmanship. The most important thing is that you have a friendly bird that you have a bond with.

My champion showmanship bantam Cochin has a feather pattern defect that makes her not suitable for type showing. But she always did very well in showmanship.

If Clementine only likes to sit on your arm (and not be picked up), she is probably not the best bird for showmanship. Showmanship birds need to be comfortable with being picked up. If Winefred like to be picked up and petted, she might be a better choice.

Showmanship chickens need to learn how to stand quietly on a table (without flying off) and be picked up without trying to get away or trying to roost on your arm. I like to use treats like scratch grains or a tiny piece of cheese during training to reward them (and to make them enjoy it).

For type showing, the most important thing is that your bird fits the Standard of Perfection, is clean and healthy, and is comfortable with sitting in a cage. The Standard of Perfection has lots of facts about chickens. In showmanship, the judge often asks you questions about poultry facts (such as "Name one disqualification for your breed of chicken").

Most chicken shows require all showmanship exhibitors to wear a white button-down shirt with a collar, black pants, and dark-colored shoes (but there may be exceptions). You do not need any special clothes for showing your chicken in type classes.

Some people have special diets for their show chickens. I personally do not think that is necessary as long as your bird looks healthy.

This is a good video explaining the basics of how to pick up your bird for showmanship (found on the internet--that is not my chicken):

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom