Chicken shows in Texas 2011

equusvilla

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 6, 2010
South Texas
..and I am not talking about 4-h or FFA shows for kids. I would like to invest in some show quality chickens, but before making the final choices - want to go to a show or 2.

The Bluebonnet Classic is January 8Th in College Station, it is one of the biggest shows in Texas.
I see that you are in South Texas,there are some smaller shows. One in La Grange in February and maybe one in April in New Braunfels.

There is a thread about the Bluebonnet Classic in the Chicken Stock and Show page. Also the BBC has a website, it is simple but has a lot of what you want to know to find shows in your area.

Here is the link to the other thread https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=427245

Bob

Last edited:
The biggest one coming up I can think of is the Poultry Show at the Southwest Exposition and Stock Show in Fort Worth in January. I cant remember the date off hand but it is usually the third weekend in January. Ive been every year for many years and its usually a large show.
I havent been to the one in College Station yet but I am gonna try this year.

The Ft worth Stock show is on January 21-22-23, the entry deadline is the 30th

The Stock Show is usually the biggest open poultry show in Texas, and is still the most prestigious. Winning there is a great accomplishment. The numbers are about half since they closed the borders and Oklahoma and others can't get in.

Last year the Bluebonnet Classic actually had a more entries in the Open show than Ft Worth. Plus the BBC has a pigeon show, Backyard show, and a Gamecock show.
Nevertheless, the Ft Worth Stock will always be the Superbowl of Exhibition poultry in Texas.

Quote:
Come on Tim, you want to make her wait 10 months to go to a poultry show?

While I am always ready to have show season end, after a while I can't wait till it starts again.

Bob

No, ..her question was about Texas shows in 2011. Just bringing up one no-one else mentioned. The Decatur show is in September, so is the West Texas Fair in Abilene. But you are correct, your show is next.

The list of shows that I know of in order are

Bluebonnet Classic
Ft Worth Stock show

South Texas Classic - Feb. La Grange
Abilene Spring show- March-
South Texas State Fair- March- Beaumont
Fancy Feathers- April- New Braunfels

Fayette Co. Fair- Sept- La Grange
West Texas fair- Sept- Abilene
Red River- Sept. -Decatur
State Fair- Oct -Dallas
Abilene Fall Show- Oct.
The sad thing is we have 3 shows in September one of the worst months to show and none in November one of the best months to show.
By the way this list doesn't include the ones in the Panhandle. Also we have a list of all the shows, actual dates and contact information on our website.

Last edited:
Hey Bob -
Shoot, don't we avoid having shows in November because of conflicts with deer season and some holiday associated with turkeys?
D.gif

Maybe we can squeeze a show in for November 2011 on that third weekend....
roll.png

Cereally, Lone Star poultry aficionados, the Abilene show is usually that last weekend of October, so the first weekend in November is a bit close and cramping that show, and the second weekend in November has been the Texas Association's show weekend on occasion, or else it conflicted with the Ohio National that is always that weekend, and sometimes an ABA National Meet. The third weekend is crowding Thanksgiving weekend, and then the fourth weekend folks start thinking about how close to Christmas it is. November is a tough poultry show schedule, but Bob is correct, it is a great month to show poultry. We might have to see if we could cobble a poultry show together that second weekend in November next year since it isn't such a conflict with the Ohio National or other shows around the country that exhibitors might want to attend. All it takes is some volunteers, initiative, blood, sweat, and some green stuff. In the meantime the Fort Worth Stock Show and Bluebonnet Classic are good January options.

See ya along that poultry show trail...

Sam Brush

Back
Top Bottom