Chicken sick with runny white green poop throwing up

What is a "small dose" of antibiotic in the water? Which antibiotic and what dose?

A crop that is not emptying overnight needs to be addressed. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

I agree, at 3 years old, Coccidiosis might be an issue if a bird is unwell, generally they have resistance to what's found in their environment.
The Corid won't hurt anything, but consider getting a fecal float to see if worms are another issue that needs to be addressed as well.

Crop symptoms are often the result of an underlying condition as described by @coach723 in post#18 hopefully she will show some improvement soon.
Antibiotic, 2 drops of lythromyacin that was suggested to me by tractor supply, orally through her water.

Well, this morning her crop was normal and she was perky and chipper and showed sings of being back to normal. Then after being back outside for a while she again lost interest in eating and was weirdly shaking her head abnormally. Then I did get a whiff of sour from her gullet. Could worms be a cause of that also??

What is a "small dose" of antibiotic in the water? Which antibiotic and what dose?

A crop that is not emptying overnight needs to be addressed. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

I agree, at 3 years old, Coccidiosis might be an issue if a bird is unwell, generally they have resistance to what's found in their environment.
The Corid won't hurt anything, but consider getting a fecal float to see if worms are another issue that needs to be addressed as well.

Crop symptoms are often the result of an underlying condition as described by @coach723 in post#18 hopefully she will show some improvement soon.
We are starting her on Corid today and I started a conversation with the author of the article you sent me. We were also able to get ivermectin finally. We have been turned down by the vet twice already so I am completely disappointed by them. All girls starting yesterday have poopy bottoms and so far no other symptoms. Thank you for your help. Any information and help is appreciated.

We are starting her on Corid today and I started a conversation with the author of the article you sent me. We were also able to get ivermectin finally. We have been turned down by the vet twice already so I am completely disappointed by them. All girls starting yesterday have poopy bottoms and so far no other symptoms. Thank you for your help. Any information and help is appreciated.
Sorry that the vet won't help you.
It's good that you have a pm going with Carol, hopefully you can sort it all out and your hen will recover!
Good Luck:)

Last edited:
Corid is available at most feed stores and tractor supply stores, in the livestock/cattle section, either the liquid or powder will work (most people prefer the liquid, but either is fine). Images below. At three years old a reproductive problem is also possible, infection, cancer, etc. Feel her abdomen, between the legs, below the vent, for any bloat or swelling, either very firm or water balloon like. Not laying at this time of year could be a symptom or could just be from the shorter daylight hours. At three years old she should have some resistance to coccidia, unless she's weakened by something else. The Corid is very safe and won't hurt anything even if it's something else. If you have a vet that will do a fecal test for you without seeing the bird (many won't - if they see other animals of yours sometimes they will), that's not terribly expensive. You can also use a mail in option to test for internal parasites: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000J5SOZ...colid=27RHKHAM35GO&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
View attachment 2935982
View attachment 2935983
Are you sure it’s ok to do dewormer with Corid? Is monistat ok in their food? I am going out to treat all the girls this morning as they now all have poopy bottoms. I was just going to start them on probiotics??

So my lil Princess is sick and is leaking runny water from her mouth. Her poop is in the picture I am including here. She is fluffed up and has a soft gullet that is not empty in the morning. We are giving her a probiotic and a small dose of antibiotic in her water. We are emptying her gullet by massage and holding her downward for 2 seconds and it empties for a while and she acts normal then it goes back to full and fluids. Any help would be appreciated. Vet has pretty much turned us down when we call to see about getting her to be seen. 3 year old Rhode Island Red hen. Can’t tell if she has been laying or not yet.

Here is an updated poop. She is acting better and tried to eat some but not giving her much.
Sorry my brother, its itchy!

It's anything containing Thiamine that shouldn't be given during treatment.

Vitamins/Electrolytes are okay as long as it doesn't have Thiamine in it.
Lenny.
We did and tried everything for our chicken and she just got a little better and then fell back into the same routine again. Then sitting one evening after having and upset stomach thought about Pepto Bismol for chickens. Looked it up and yes….tried 1cc on her as a test. It was awesome, she instantly ate normally and was able to bend over to food without throwing up. She got three more doses after that (once a day). So it has been a whole month or so now and she is still doing great (knock on wood).

Lenny.
We did and tried everything for our chicken and she just got a little better and then fell back into the same routine again. Then sitting one evening after having and upset stomach thought about Pepto Bismol for chickens. Looked it up and yes….tried 1cc on her as a test. It was awesome, she instantly ate normally and was able to bend over to food without throwing up. She got three more doses after that (once a day). So it has been a whole month or so now and she is still doing great (knock on wood).
I've never heard of giving that to chickens.

Good thing she's doing better now.

I've never heard of giving that to chickens.

Good thing she's doing better now.
It was amazing. I couldn’t believe it. We were going through everything possible for her as she is our house dog/chicken. Need To get a doggie door for her. Lol. House trained. Pecks at door to go poop. Yeah we are chicken crazies. 😂

It was amazing. I couldn’t believe it. We were going through everything possible for her as she is our house dog/chicken. Need To get a doggie door for her. Lol. House trained. Pecks at door to go poop. Yeah we are chicken crazies. 😂
I would never be allowed to have a house chicken.

Back
Top Bottom