Chicken Sickness

mwork57566

Chirping
Jun 22, 2014
Hi, I have been a member on BYC for years but I don’t think I have ever asked a question, but I have read a lot of helpful information. I would like to ask Dawg or anyone who has had a lot of experience with Chicken sicknesses. I have had a lot of problem with( Swollen Eyes, congestion, sneezing ) I know a lot of disease has the same symptoms. My question is if a chicken was in the same coope and has not been sick, can it still be a carrier? Thanks

Most respiratory diseases (MG, coryza, ILT) can make the whole flock carriers for life. Infectious bronchitis can make them all carriers for up to a year. The symptoms you describe sound like MG, or possibly coryza if they smell bad. MG can be common in some backyard flocks or with wild birds. This link has symptoms and a brief explanation of the diseases, and you can easily find more in depth articles for more info.

Hi, I have been a member on BYC for years but I don’t think I have ever asked a question, but I have read a lot of helpful information. I would like to ask Dawg or anyone who has had a lot of experience with Chicken sicknesses. I have had a lot of problem with( Swollen Eyes, congestion, sneezing ) I know a lot of disease has the same symptoms. My question is if a chicken was in the same coope and has not been sick, can it still be a carrier? Thanks
Yes. Any birds that have been exposed to a sick chicken with respiratory illness is considered a carrier regardless if they ever show symptoms.

Back
Top Bottom