Chicken sitting in corner

Rattlesnake Roost

In the Brooder
Feb 22, 2019
Hello,
This is my first post, but I feel like I have been stalking you all because of your help on others' questions.

Here is my situation:
I have a 11 month old Buff Orpington (I think) pullet. She used to be top hen, but was put in her place by my Americauna. She had lost some feathers due to the Americauna and stopped laying while she started to grow her feathers back. Otherwise, she seemed fine until her sister started not feeling well. Her sister was removed and the coop completely cleaned and resethp with more space and roosting bars. It started out that it seemed she went broody. Sitting in the nesting box, attacking any food I brought to her, when I would kick her out of the box she would eat and drink and then go back to the box, so I now close it when I get home from work. I found her in the morning sitting right outside the box laying down. Didn't show any other signs of distress. She layed an egg that day, but now really likes to sit in the corner. She is eating, drinking and pooping normal. She has a bit of a limp but it wears off when she walks around for a bit. She talks a little. It just seems like she is sad without her buddy. She doesn't seem to have lost weight. Anyone have any idea what is wrong with her? She is not showing ANY of the signs of the that the sick one is or had been.... I am at a loss.

It is really cold and they haven't wanted to go outside for quite a while. She is on layer pellets, we offer oyster shells and I keep them on sand that I have been "scooping" every night.

Thanks!
The photo I attached is from when I was treating her for her missing butt feathers that were being pulled out at night by the Americauna.

Attachments

• 20190202_110528.jpg
    20190202_110528.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 14
I wouldn't worry. A few of mine have a corner that they really like, too. And she's not a Buff Orpington. Probably a red sex link or something similar.

I wouldn't worry. A few of mine have a corner that they really like, too. And she's not a Buff Orpington. Probably a red sex link or something similar.
Thanks. I and asked for and Australop (got it), a Wyandotte (definitely don't have one) and an Easter Egger (probably got). I had no idea what she was but she is about twice the size of the other two.

My only worry is that she doesn't seem inclined to come see me when I come in like she used to.

Poop looked normal. Ample, found, white cap on top. Her eyes are bright and alert, just doesn't seem interested is coming out of her corner.

I wonder if it is because she is stuck with the one usurped her throne and she doesn't feel like being social with her? I put her on a roost last night to find her back in her corner this morning.

Back
Top Bottom