chicken sitting on duck eggs

jjs hens

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 16, 2013
I have put duck eggs under my broody buff, its been 7 days now and i have checked them with a light and i can see veins soo things are growing.

Its the first time i have done this, would it be better too leave the ducklings with the chicken?? or once they hatch take them away from her??

Any advice would be very handy
thumbsup.gif

I have put duck eggs under my broody buff, its been 7 days now and i have checked them with a light and i can see veins soo things are growing.

Its the first time i have done this, would it be better too leave the ducklings with the chicken?? or once they hatch take them away from her??

Any advice would be very handy
thumbsup.gif
Play it by ear, it would be sad if your hen wanted to mother them and you took them away after she devoted time to hatching them, if she doesn't take to them and isn't caring for them properly then take and brood them but I would give her a chance, most broodys are deicated and could care less what the ckick/ duckling looks like that comes out of the egg. All the best.

Thanks for your reply i will see what the hen decideds, i did think it would be bit mean too take them off her after she has hatched them and sat on them for soo long.

Back
Top Bottom