Chicken Size

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Oregon Blues, Dec 1, 2012.

1. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    My son's brother came to the house last night with a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store.

I couldn't believe how small it looked. The brother was also saying that he picked it up and set it down a couple of times before buying it because it looked so small. We were both comparing it the size of the home raised that we have been eating for most of the year. Some of the Cornish Cross here were butchered at 9 weeks and some of them got a couple of weeks more than that. We've gotten used to the huge size chickens, so the grocery store ones look small.

2. Life is Good!

Life is Good! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    suburbia Chicagoland
    Yep, we've noticed that as well. Amazing how your perspective changes once you start keeping these critters! And I know that some of ours in the pen, while appearing large - are actually mostly feathers! Fluff doesn't translate to food - but it surely keeps 'em warm on these cold winter days!

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    What I find funny is reading old depression era recipes that call for a 2-3lb chicken! I don't think you could sell those in the store these days, but that was the norm then, esp for a young fryer.

4. TamTurkey

TamTurkey Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2012
    Texas
    I have my birds processed. While waiting the chickens they produce were in their fridge area. They were PITIFUL you could see the breast bone sticking out! So it's not JUST the stores! I raise the CRX I would love to see another breed dressed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by