Chicken Size

Oregon Blues

Crowing
8 Years
Apr 14, 2011
Central Oregon
My son's brother came to the house last night with a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store.

I couldn't believe how small it looked. The brother was also saying that he picked it up and set it down a couple of times before buying it because it looked so small. We were both comparing it the size of the home raised that we have been eating for most of the year. Some of the Cornish Cross here were butchered at 9 weeks and some of them got a couple of weeks more than that. We've gotten used to the huge size chickens, so the grocery store ones look small.

Yep, we've noticed that as well. Amazing how your perspective changes once you start keeping these critters! And I know that some of ours in the pen, while appearing large - are actually mostly feathers! Fluff doesn't translate to food - but it surely keeps 'em warm on these cold winter days!

What I find funny is reading old depression era recipes that call for a 2-3lb chicken! I don't think you could sell those in the store these days, but that was the norm then, esp for a young fryer.

I have my birds processed. While waiting the chickens they produce were in their fridge area. They were PITIFUL you could see the breast bone sticking out! So it's not JUST the stores! I raise the CRX I would love to see another breed dressed.

Back
Top Bottom