Chicken Slaughter

aaaboy

In the Brooder
7 Years
Aug 31, 2012
i have been reading many methods of killing and cleaning birds for the dinner table. was looking to hear everyones experience w what they like best (ex. skinning vs plucking and etc...) thanks to all :)

We butcher meat birds every year. It's the best chicken. You can't buy chicken that good in stores. I learned by reading the forums and studying the pictures. There's a very good sticky thread out there by "frugal" that I used as a guide the first time. It's complete with pictures. The only thing we have done differently is we've tried different killing methods. My favorite method now is the "broomstick method". It's quick, easy, humane, less bloody and I can do it myself without help. There are YouTube videos that will show you how if you're interested. We've also used a sharp pair of lopers, (the ones used to prune tree branches). That's a good method also, but still pretty bloody. After that, the plucking and cleaning is pretty standard.

Hello and welcome to BYC
frow.gif
I don't slaughter or eat chickens, sorry! Have you looked at the Meat Birds ETC section?

why would you not eat chicken? that makes no sense to not eat some of the healthiest meat available. Thats why most are labelled "dual purpose"

we have both layers and just got meat birds yesterday. we actullay had to cull 2 of our layers a few weeks ago. my hubby ended up skinning them and they wound up pretty clean.

I raise for eggs and meat. Some I skin - roosters that get too old for frying, and obviously old hens. These I tend to can. Others like Cornish X I dunk and pluck. I usually bleed them after first knocking them out (which perhaps kills them) and then proceed.

Back
Top Bottom