Chicken Slaughter

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by aaaboy, Aug 31, 2012.

1. aaaboy

aaaboy Just Hatched

Aug 31, 2012
    i have been reading many methods of killing and cleaning birds for the dinner table. was looking to hear everyones experience w what they like best (ex. skinning vs plucking and etc...) thanks to all :)

1 person likes this.
  2. Red Barn Farms

Red Barn Farms ~Friendly Fowl~

Apr 12, 2012
    Kentucky Heartland
    Hello aaaboy! I cannot comment about preparing fowl because i only raise egg laying chickens. Someone else will chime in soon on that question. Welcome aboard.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. rungirl

rungirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Columbus, Ohio
    We butcher meat birds every year. It's the best chicken. You can't buy chicken that good in stores. I learned by reading the forums and studying the pictures. There's a very good sticky thread out there by "frugal" that I used as a guide the first time. It's complete with pictures. The only thing we have done differently is we've tried different killing methods. My favorite method now is the "broomstick method". It's quick, easy, humane, less bloody and I can do it myself without help. There are YouTube videos that will show you how if you're interested. We've also used a sharp pair of lopers, (the ones used to prune tree branches). That's a good method also, but still pretty bloody. After that, the plucking and cleaning is pretty standard.

2 people like this.
  4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] I don't slaughter or eat chickens, sorry! Have you looked at the Meat Birds ETC section?

5. aaaboy

aaaboy Just Hatched

Aug 31, 2012
    why would you not eat chicken? that makes no sense to not eat some of the healthiest meat available. Thats why most are labelled "dual purpose"

6. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Some people don't eat chicken [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 31, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  7. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG] from California! I only have chickens for eggs/pets.

8. rekkas peeps

rekkas peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2012
    Goffstown NH
    we have both layers and just got meat birds yesterday. we actullay had to cull 2 of our layers a few weeks ago. my hubby ended up skinning them and they wound up pretty clean.

9. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I raise for eggs and meat. Some I skin - roosters that get too old for frying, and obviously old hens. These I tend to can. Others like Cornish X I dunk and pluck. I usually bleed them after first knocking them out (which perhaps kills them) and then proceed.

10. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad to have you aboard. :thumbsup
    I also raise for eggs and meat. I would not due without either. :drool

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by