Chicken sleeping separately

Naisha

Raptor whisperer
Oct 30, 2021
Spain
Hello! I have hen that doesn’t sleep with the rest and I don’t know if it’s normal. There’s the coop, the run, and in the run there’s like a small dog house, without perches or nests, it’s just there so they can hide, same as other stuff like pallets. In the evening when they go to sleep, she doesn’t go with them and she sleeps in the dog house, on the floor. What should I do? Should I take her with the rest? I don’t know what’s best, maybe she gets bullied and she doesn’t want to be with the others?

I have a little cross beaked EE that absolutely refuses to go into the coop. I go out every night and carry her into the coop and put her up on the roost bars. This has been a nightly chore since mid-June...she just last week started hopping down from her afternoon/evening perch and walking herself over to the door to be let into the coop after the chicken door closes. She refuses to go in on her own though...She also refuses to go into the coop for any reason once the door is open for the day. Even when it is windy, raining or snowing...she prefers to be outside.

I have a little cross beaked EE that absolutely refuses to go into the coop. I go out every night and carry her into the coop and put her up on the roost bars. This has been a nightly chore since mid-June...she just last week started hopping down from her afternoon/evening perch and walking herself over to the door to be let into the coop after the chicken door closes. She refuses to go in on her own though...She also refuses to go into the coop for any reason once the door is open for the day. Even when it is windy, raining or snowing...she prefers to be outside.
I’ve been reading your thread and the behavior is very similar to my case. I guess I can take her in every evening so she gets used to sleep there. I actually did that some time ago until she started sleeping in the coop next to her friend, but the friend died :( and today I could check she stated sleeping on her own again.
I hope your chicken is doing good. I’m curious, do you have to give her different food?

I’ve been reading your thread and the behavior is very similar to my case. I guess I can take her in every evening so she gets used to sleep there. I actually did that some time ago until she started sleeping in the coop next to her friend, but the friend died :( and today I could check she stated sleeping on her own again.
I hope your chicken is doing good. I’m curious, do you have to give her different food?
She can't eat the dry feed I leave out 24/7, so we go out daily and make a big bowl of mash using a 32oz cup of warm water and a scoop of feed. They all go nuts for the wet feed, but since the rest free feed all day long, she gets to fill up on the wet mash. I also take out the fruit/veg scraps at the same time as the water, that helps keep the rest out of the mash until Shadow eats too.

Hello! I have hen that doesn’t sleep with the rest and I don’t know if it’s normal. There’s the coop, the run, and in the run there’s like a small dog house, without perches or nests, it’s just there so they can hide, same as other stuff like pallets. In the evening when they go to sleep, she doesn’t go with them and she sleeps in the dog house, on the floor. What should I do? Should I take her with the rest? I don’t know what’s best, maybe she gets bullied and she doesn’t want to be with the others?
Are all the birds(how many?) the same age and grew up together?
How big is coop, in feet by feet?
Dimensions and pics would help here.

Hello! I have hen that doesn’t sleep with the rest and I don’t know if it’s normal. There’s the coop, the run, and in the run there’s like a small dog house, without perches or nests, it’s just there so they can hide, same as other stuff like pallets. In the evening when they go to sleep, she doesn’t go with them and she sleeps in the dog house, on the floor. What should I do? Should I take her with the rest? I don’t know what’s best, maybe she gets bullied and she doesn’t want to be with
I have three that refuse to be in a coop. I got them together (a cockerel and two pullets) and come rain, sleet, snow, hail, or a tornado like today, and they still stay out. All my others go inside no problem.

They’re 6, 2 of them males. I don’t know their age, because I bought the house with them already here and the previous owner didn’t explain me anything…😅 but they were together from long ago, at least from august.
I don’t have pictures of the coop, and this gray girl is not the chicken that sleeps on her own, but you can see the space. That’s the coop, and the run is where we are, more or less the total size is double of what you see.
D3E11FE1-DD46-469A-8F13-0C401A135AD9.jpeg

That little house over there is where she hides:
9A158D12-1CF2-455E-A60F-F54E80A84342.jpeg

And the shy girl is the brown one:
61BAAA88-ABA9-4FE6-87CC-E95BF38E5B06.jpeg

Is the sleeping separate a new thing?
Not really, she’s been doing that for some time, then I thought she finally started sleeping with the rest, and now again she started sleeping separate again.

Back
Top Bottom