Chicken sneeze or cough? w/video

My vet prescribed Tylan powder for Hermione. She had another scary spell yesterday evening. But was quiet all night and is up moving around, eating and drinking this morning.

Did the vet prescribe 1 tsp of Tylan powder for each gallon of water for 5 days? That is what I would use. Most feed stores have SafeGuard or Pancur horse paste which is 10% fenbendazole and the dosage is the same as the goat wormer—0.25 ml per pound of weight given orally for 5 straight days. I am not familiar with the dosage of the product you have.

Did the vet prescribe 1 tsp of Tylan powder for each gallon of water for 5 days? That is what I would use. Most feed stores have SafeGuard or Pancur horse paste which is 10% fenbendazole and the dosage is the same as the goat wormer—0.25 ml per pound of weight given orally for 5 straight days. I am not familiar with the dosage of the product you have.
My vet said 1/2 tsp of Tylan powder per gallon. Maybe I could increase it.

Thanks for the dosage on the Safeguard and Pancur. I’ll hold that for future reference.
The dewormer I got has dosage on the bottle, I just can’t figure out how to get the Rooster to take it. He isn’t the cuddly sort. So picking him up is a chase and a struggle. i suppose I just need to grab him at night and get it in his mouth.

I would increase it to 1 tsp. Also make sure that it drinks, since sick birds do not drink well. If you compare the mg of the SafeGuard liquid or horse paste, those capsules are much different, and less fenbendazole. That may be okay for roundworms, and no egg withdrawal, but gapeworms or capillary worms might need a stronger dose.

Someone recently posted about this new product, and I would be a little concerned that the dosage on the package is not enough to treat capillary or gapeworms. Here is what the package insert calls for:
https://www.jefferspet.com/products/poultry-dewormer-5x
This would be 6.7 mg of fenbendazole per capsule.

The SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer and horse paste contain 10% fenbendazole. These contain 100 mg of fenbendazole per ml:
https://www.jefferspet.com/products/safeguard-dewormer-goats-125ml
I did increase the dosage for my Brahma big girl. And will do so for the Rooster just due to weight. But your point is well taken and I think I could increase dosage for other hens. But some thinking a treatment over 3 days may yield favorable results as well. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Good news regarding Hermione! Last night she stayed out in her little private coop with no events. She was able to roost and this morning was her old self. She still has 4 days on the Tylan water. So she gets to keep her private quarters a bit longer.

Meanwhile, the entire flock has been dewormed with the above mentioned product. I chose to do the three day treatment and will withdraw eggs for the required period. I’ll miss the eggs, but glad we made it through that without loosing Hermione.
Thanks everyone for help and advice. I think we are out of the woods!

Back
Top Bottom