Chicken sneezing and isolation question

Buddys mom

Chirping
May 28, 2023
Hi everyone, I have a chicken that has started sneezing quite often today. I've read here that many people use Tylosin and I plan to get some as soon as I can get ahold of the vet tomorrow. I'm going to put her in an isolation run since all of the 4 other chickens that are in with her have started pecking on her and I don't want her to be any more stressed than she already is. My questions are isTylosin the best treatment and are the other chickens going to accept her back as part of the flock when it's time for her to go back with them.

Have you added any new birds recently? Do you see any drainage from her nose or eye bubbles, swollen eyelid, head shaking or gasping? Sneezing can be common, but if it is every few minutes and she is not eating, it might be a sign of a respiratory infection. How is the odor and ventilation in the coop? Is there any dust, mold, or ammonia odor from the droppings? Sneezing alone could be from irritation of her nostrils and throat, but it could be a sign of a virus. If there are other symptoms above, then it could be MG or CRD. Tylsoin or other antibiotics won’t help a virus or environmental cause, but would help if it was MG. Instead of isolating her away from the flock, try placing her in a dog crate within the coop and run, where she remain part of the flock. Can you post any pictures of her?

Eggcessive, thank you so much for the great information! I went back out with the hens and was checking her and watching them interacting. She has no physical symptoms and had completely stopped sneezing. But I did see one of the other hens pecking on her face earlier when she was making the sneezing sound. I'm wondering if that's why she was making that sound. Everything is fine out there now but she is at the bottom of the pecking order and she gets picked on a lot.

Be out there first thing in the morning and watch their behavior toward her. Do they have plenty of room to get away from each other? Are they getting outside to roam around?

Ok. I'll do that. I usually just give them fresh water when they come out of the coop at sunup and then I head back inside. But I'll hang out tomorrow and watch them for a while. They do have room in the run but don't free range at all. Thanks again for the help.

Back
Top Bottom