Chicken sneezing with runny nose

Jenn1018

Songster
Apr 15, 2019
Snellville, Georgia
I took in a stray and she is sneezing with a runny nose. No other symptoms. Her feathers look excellent and her poop looks good. No mucous in eyes. Looks really healthy other than the sneezing and runny nose. She’s eating and drinking well. I have her quarantined and am practicing strict bio security.
I called my vet and they wouldn’t even see her because of bird flu. Seriously?! I don’t think that’s what I’m dealing with and my vet unwilling to see her is really upsetting.
Not really sure what to do now. The sneezing is maybe 2-3 times an hour. I’ve been giving rooster booster once a day and she’s had 3 doses so far.
I want to keep her. She’s very sweet. She’s tiny but I think full grown. 1.4 pounds.
Any advice appreciated. Thanks!
I should also add she was in someone’s backyard for four days and before that who knows? She was caught by a neighbor and spent 24 hours in a box with no food.

She could have signs of a possible respiratory disease, but sometimes, dust, mold and getting feed stuck inside the nostrils could cause sneezing. When my flock once had infectious bronchitis virus, it spread through my whole flock over time. The only symptoms were sneezing every few minutes and clear nasal drainage. It lasted a month. Make sure that the bedding and feed are not dusty, and that you have good overhead coop ventilation. What type of bedding is used? New birds should be quarantined for at least a month to make sure they are not sick.

Thanks for the response. She was sneezing when I got her so I don’t think it’s related to what I’m using in my coop. She was outside for at least four days prior to me getting her. I’m hoping maybe it’s just related to being out in the environment. Pollen is high right now. I’m hoping with good food and being safe it will allow her immune system to fight it?? She’s been here two days and it’s not any better though.

i dont want to be a downer but it could be a crd (chronic respiratory disease) my flock got it after I purchased new hens and added them in. no matter how long you quarantine it will still spread. After that all you can do is manage symptoms, and push them back into dormancy. if it is a card, the stress of the move will have brought it out of dormancy.

Hopefully, it's just something small like a respiratory infection, a RI once treated won't affect your whole flock.

Just in case though starting now and until you put her with the flock give everyone supplements and raw herbs to boost the immune. That way if they do catch something, their bodies can fight it off.

Back
Top Bottom