Chicken sneezing

Hei-hei

Chirping
Aug 11, 2022
Hey y’all, still a total newbie. I’m worried about one of my girls. She started sneezing yesterday. Today her tail wasn’t quite as high as normal. Still having the occasional sneeze. She’s still moving around and her comb is bright red. But, I’m kinda worried. What can I do to give her an immune system boost? Should I just go straight to antibiotics? I’m nervous about that too, never given a shot before, so I’d love some videos to watch.

Have you seen a respiratory disease in your flock before that required antibiotics? For an occasional sneeze, I would not use an antibiotic unless you see other symptoms. Those include bubbles in one eye, a swollen eyelid, nasal drainage, or crackles when breathing. Sneezing can be occasional and sometimes because of environmental reasons, such as dust, mold, or poor ventilation. Sometimes it might be a virus, and those are not responsive to antibiotics.

Have you seen a respiratory disease in your flock before that required antibiotics? For an occasional sneeze, I would not use an antibiotic unless you see other symptoms. Those include bubbles in one eye, a swollen eyelid, nasal drainage, or crackles when breathing. Sneezing can be occasional and sometimes because of environmental reasons, such as dust, mold, or poor ventilation. Sometimes it might be a virus, and those are not responsive to antibiotics.
I have only had chickens since July. So, I’m not sure what I’m looking for yet at all. I’ve never had a sick bird before. Tonight, it looked like a little nasal discharge has started.

Have you seen any of the respiratory symptoms in addition to sneezing that I listed in post 2? How long have you had them. Common diseases are infectious bronchitis, mycoplasma gallisepticum, and worse ones, such as coryza or ILT. Here is a good link with symptoms of those and other diseases:
https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/publication/PS044
Thank you, I’ll look at this!

She was a little raspy sounding when she clicked yesterday and had a little nasal discharge. Holding her tail kinda low rather than up. She seemed a little better than yesterday this morning. So, I’m just gonna keep watching her for now. I went ahead and picked up some antibiotics at Tractor Supply just in case.

Back
Top Bottom