chicken snob

Quote:
It's great to get all this support, I thought I was the only one. Several years ago when National Geographic came out with Polish on the cover I actually wrote them a letter complaining about the cover bird. It was one of the nastiest Polish I have ever seen. A male with a brassy crest (yellow crest s/b white) and generally poor type and really poor feather condition. I asked them why they would put something like that on the cover when there were so many good examples they could have used. I didn't hear from them and I'm probably on their list of nut cases now.

Walt

My own family is the worst about asking me why I spend so much for chickens and why I need these lines or even why I have so many anyways. I will admit, I started just wanting eggs. Then I fell in love with bantam Cochins. I drove 3hrs to a swap in Maryland and Msbear hooked me up with my first Mille Fleur trio. That was the start to being a snob. A month later I decided I wanted Wheaten Ameraucanas, Cochins and Orps only. People still ask why I spend so much on chickens and why I don't want "perfectly good egg layers". Then I explain the money to be had off a dozen of fertile BW/W Ameraucana eggs. That shuts them up.

I'm sure I can be in this club. I had hubby build me a chicken condo complex for my "special" chickens that I drove 5 hours round trip to get. He is very understanding that I have yard chickens in which all but 3 are pure bred "hatchery" chickens and then I have my OEGB that get the condos. They get the special $13 a bag food, shavings in the condos and their own size appropiate nesting boxs. Not that the others are treated badly, just don't get the gold treatment. Theirs are more like bronze..... :) Love them all though... even my mutt OEGB Petie! I have yet been cross examined about WHY I have the "special" chickens in the condos by outsiders, but I'm sure in time I will be!

April

Ahhh, this place feels like HOME.

I sometimes feel like the only cashew on the table, but now I have a whole bowl of "NUTS' like myself to hang out with!
lol.png

Thanks for the thread CR!!

Quote:
lol.png

Here is something snobby I did recently. A friend of my mothers who has 150 chickens (for eggs mostly) heard that one of my young cockerels was killed by a dog and she did not realize I had backups. She was super happy to pass along a beautiful Araucana rooster to me. She texted me pics of him and told me how he was pure bred araucana and he was so beautiful. Well of course it is an EE. No specific recognized color. Cool looking I am sure to the chicken un-snob.
I tried to explain the difference over the phone and decided to print out an info sheet with pics demonstrating the difference between ameraucana, araucana and EE. I gave her the sheet and she pointed to the rumpless araucana and said "yes he looks just like that!" I said "really? with no tail?" And she said "oh no he has beautiful long greenish tail feathers."
idunno.gif

Sometimes I wonder if I am using different eyeballs than other people use. She offered to pluck out his tail feathers for me..... I think she was joking.
I don't even want araucanas anyway!
roll.png

So there is my chicken snob confession for this week. lol Not quite the same as telling off the National Geographic but snobby just the same.
lau.gif

Quote:
It's great to get all this support, I thought I was the only one. Several years ago when National Geographic came out with Polish on the cover I actually wrote them a letter complaining about the cover bird. It was one of the nastiest Polish I have ever seen. A male with a brassy crest (yellow crest s/b white) and generally poor type and really poor feather condition. I asked them why they would put something like that on the cover when there were so many good examples they could have used. I didn't hear from them and I'm probably on their list of nut cases now.

Walt

That's pretty extreme. I applaud you.
clap.gif

OMG I just had a chicken snob moment/conversation
bun.gif
yippiechickie.gif

Lady driving by sees my Blue Orp roo in the yard with his multitude of women (8) and stop, now I am trying to beat some cold rain that is coming so I am filling feeders and etc. I ask her to walk with me because I am filling feeders and such before dark and rain sets in...she says "Can't they egt wet?" I sorta snappy replied "Not mine" and stepped to my feed totes... she says why on earth do you have so much feed and it looks different? I tried to explain (big mistake on my part) I said well "this one has chick starter for the babies and the baby ducklings, this one has grower for those 8 - 10 weeks old until they begin laying, this one has layer pellets for my big girls and this one has mini layer pellets for the bantams, this one has a mix of their grains I hand mix for them (rolled barley, oats, BOSS and red winter wheat berries) and this one has a special 11 grain scratch that I bring back with me when I visit my friend in GA"

She says "Why not just feed them all cracked corn?" I looked at her like she had 4 heads and said "I do not want a bunch of dead pets that look like the suffered jaundice and I want them to eat properly" She said "My God they are just chickens lady" I looked over at her vehicle and saw her two yapping yorkies, groomed with little bows on their heads to match their little sweaters and said "My God lady bet you feed those mutts dry dog food from the on sale aisle too huh?"

She stomped away and called me a ..... wait for it ..... a SNOB!

Yay
yippiechickie.gif
ya.gif
celebrate.gif
tongue2.gif
gig.gif

Quote:

Walt

That's pretty extreme. I applaud you.
clap.gif

I complained to Smithsonian Magazine too when they ran pics of some nasty looking chickens. Secretly I hate mutt chickens, but with these publications I can't understand why they can't find specimens..even mutts, that have most of their feathers. I have hybrids, mistakes, projects whatever you want to call them here too, but I use them for hatching.

So far my most famous snob moment was when Mark Lewis called me a poultry snob. Mark is the person that produced the "Natural History of the Chicken" along with other none poultry related films. (Rat, Cane Toad etc). He was serious. ahahaha I considered it a compliment.

Walt

Back
Top Bottom