Chicken sometimes lays 2 eggs a day, one hard and one soft

Same problem here except it happens to most of the flock. Yesterday they lay 4 eggs and later in the afternoon they lay soft shell. Is there a probability that they are too "flacid"

I wonder what’s making them over-deliver the eggs though. Is it a hormone or something they’re eating? Mine is about six months old. Are yours similar?

I wonder what’s making them over-deliver the eggs though. Is it a hormone or something they’re eating? Mine is about six months old. Are yours similar?
They have about a month laying they were pullets before rooster started mounting them. They have dripping butts most of them except one. I have 3 buff orpingtons and probably a buff orpington naked neck mix. Since I bought the 5 of them at a feed store.
Is there a possibility They might be modified?

I have 8 RIR pullets around 6 months old. I've been getting soft shelled eggs intermittently. Yesterday morning I got 8 eggs. This morning when I went out, there were 7 eggs in the nesting boxes and two soft shelled eggs in the run, which were likely laid last evening. One of the 7 from this morning is very lightly colored, so I suspect that girl doubled up and the other took the day off. They are all healthy and happy. They free range all day, are fed organic layer feed and have egg shell and oyster shell available all the time.

I figure the over production is a result of these birds being genetically "manufactured" for maximum output rather than the result of any illness or deficiency.

Is there a possibility They might be modified?

I figure the over production is a result of these birds being genetically "manufactured" for maximum output rather than the result of any illness or deficiency.
The high production hybrid layers are not "manufactured" or "modified".
They are created by crossing specific breeds and lines of birds chosen for high production.
'Created' the old fashioned way, by sexual contact then hatching fertilized eggs.

The 'excess' eggs are due to high level of hormones.
Most second eggs laid with 24 hours are soft shelled because it takes 20 hours to create the shell.

Thsts why I put "manufactured" in quotations, I wasn't sure how to phrase it correctly. I guess *bred* or *created* for maximum output would be what I was looking for.
The high production hybrid layers are not "manufactured" or "modified".
They are created by crossing specific breeds and lines of birds chosen for high production.
'Created' the old fashioned way, by sexual contact then hatching fertilized eggs.

The 'excess' eggs are due to high level of hormones.
Most second eggs laid with 24 hours are soft shelled because it takes 20 hours to create the shell.

My he
My blue Australorp laid a soft egg her very first time last fall. Then she was a reliable hard shell egg producer. Recently she will sometimes lay 2 eggs a day. The first one will have a nice shell the 2nd one doesn't. Usually there is only about a 12 hour break between the eggs being layed. This has happened 3 times in the last 2 weeks. Two of the times the eggs were not in the nesting box. Twice they were underneath her roosting perch. She has access to oyster shell. Her feeds is for laying hens. She gets extra oats and barley which have calcium and she has access to kale. So, she has access to calcium. She also gets daily probiotics in her water. She isn't molting at the moment. She does get to free-range during the day. But I don't know why she is laying her eggs so close together. Is this a sign of something more serious?
She did have some difficulties with 3 Brahma chickens that we had (they have since been rehomed). And so early on she wasn't growing as much as I assumed an australorp would grow. Since the Brahmas are now gone, even though she is only 10 1/2 months old she is finally putting on weight and looking nice and healthy, but I'm still worried why she would be laying 2 eggs a day. Should I be worried?
My hen gives two egg every morning. One in the early morning and another after 8 to 10 hrs

Back
Top Bottom