Chicken Soup!!! or Wait For The Eggs?

Sometimes they wait till spring to lay their first eggs. They may actually be ready to lay, but there aren't enough hours of daylight this time of year. That happened to me last year with some pullets I hatched.

You've raised them this long, if it were me I'd wait for the eggs. If you kill them now, you'll just find yourself waiting on the next bunch... Or you could add a light in their coop to extend the hours of daylight and stimulate them to lay.

With the days growing shorter and getting colder, their eggs might be delayed. If it was just one hen, that would be one thing, but all of them??? I'd wait.
wink.png

I hope all of you are right, however I sold a pair of Speckled Sussex ( rooster & hen ) and that hen started laying two days after being at her new home. However, I'm enjoying watching them free range and following me around... so I really wouldn't have made chicken soup...

Yes, I've been feeding them layer as well as free range...lately they have been kept in the coop...to see if they are laying....but no success....I had a small RIR hen laying until a predator ( I assume a raccoon ) got it, now I'm hunting coon!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom