Chicken Spotlight

Lady Red

Free Ranging
Apr 4, 2021
Hi all! I love seeing everyone's photos and stories about their chickens. My goal for this thread is to share fun facts and stories about individual chickens.

Think of it like back in grade school when you had "Student of the Month" except it is "Chicken Spotlight" šŸ”

Okay, it doesn't have to be your BEST chicken, because let's be honest, the naughty ones are lovable too.

Hope you'll contribute your Chicken Spotlight too!

Chicken Spotlight - Whip

Whip was part of a dual purpose mail order from HH via TS. She was born in late January 2021.

In the first pic, she is the yellowish one with a black spot, so apparently an easily identifiable sex link!
20210127_121707.jpg

Her name is derived from a song lyric (along with one of her sisters)...watch me Whip, watch me Nae nae

She is about 12 weeks old in the pictures #2, 3 and 4.
20210409_101109.jpg

Whip doesn't walk. She RUNS.
20210409_101113.jpg
20210409_101101.jpg

She runs like a road runner.

She can out run human hands with ease that none of her sisters can.

Just when you think you've got she pivots and ducks and jumps.

She may have even said "meep meep" to me on more than one occasion.
1618948608849.png

She is by far the most challenging chicken to catch in our little group.

But once you do nab her, she loves having her ear tufts stroked and she closes her eyes and makes happy noises. :love

Then as you lower her back to the ground to release her, she squaks like you've mortally offended her and runs away. I think she just doesn't want her sisters to think she's soft and likes attention.

Whip is in the middle of the pecking order. She doesn't mind being alone, and also doesn't mind cuddling with her sisters.

She is the most svelte looking of our group. I do wonder if she has some leghorn in her.

Because Whip is so fast, it is hard to get a good photo of her....but I'll keep trying! Picture #5 is from today...13 wks almost to the day.
20210420_083506.jpg

Please say hello to Whip!

Chicken Spotlight: Meatbird

(Short into...a Meatbird Trailer of sorts...she was just cracking me up yesterday)

Miss Meatbird is a confident 13 week old. She isn't one to back down, even if it isn't in her best interest.
20210421_154533.jpg
20210421_100016.jpg

Will share more about this vocal girl later.

Attachments

• 20210421_154533.jpg
    20210421_154533.jpg
    652.8 KB · Views: 2
Love this thread so far! Hope more folks join in.

BTW, Lady Red, your Whip looks amazingly like my Dottie, a Hoover "mystery chick" leftover from the local feed store. My hatchery employee friend said Dots looked like she had leghorn in her, and sure enough, once laying began, her eggs showed that she was a Prairie Bluebell Egger, and leghorn is -- I'm told -- one of the breeds used to produce those.

Wonderful photos! I have few to no technological skills, but I promise I will try to post photos of my girl.

Love this thread so far! Hope more folks join in.

BTW, Lady Red, your Whip looks amazingly like my Dottie, a Hoover "mystery chick" leftover from the local feed store. My hatchery employee friend said Dots looked like she had leghorn in her, and sure enough, once laying began, her eggs showed that she was a Prairie Bluebell Egger, and leghorn is -- I'm told -- one of the breeds used to produce those.

Wonderful photos! I have few to no technological skills, but I promise I will try to post photos of my girl.
So happy you've enjoyed so far! Looking forward to your girl's story and pics!

Back
Top Bottom