Chicken squatting as if she is going to poop but doesn't....

socalchickens76

Chirping
Oct 13, 2020
My year-old Black Australorp has started doing this weird thing that I'm hoping someone can help me identify why she's doing it. She squats as if she's going to poop and just stands there (or sometimes she will waddle around in a circle). Looks like she's trying to poop but hardly any poop comes out and in fact her vent starts to protrude out. She will do that for 10-15 seconds and then go about her business. Other than that, she eats, drinks and acts completely normal. And she is laying eggs...although we think she might be randomly laying in the run (vs the coop). We have found three eggs in the last several weeks sitting in the middle of the run and that's never happened before (and we don't know what chicken laid it).

As far as I can tell by my research, she might be constipated or egg bound. We've seen her poop so I don't think she's constipated (but we plan on monitoring her more closely today). I don't why she would be doing this. Any ideas?

It's different than the mating squat. I'm familiar with that. This squat is like she's trying to poop and sometimes a little poop comes out and her vent protrudes out. It's definitely something I've not seen before.

What are you feeding? Is she getting a layer feed or have access to crushed oyster shell for extra calcium? You can try giving her some human calcium in a tablet or Tums to see if it helps. You could check her for a stuck egg or obstruction by inserting a clean finger 1-2 inches into her vent. When birds strain to lay an egg, sometimes they can have a partial temporary prolapse, that goes back inside.

We are feeding her layer feed and she does have access to crushed oysters. I will check to see if there is an egg stuck in her but we are almost 100% sure she laid an egg yesterday.

Did you find out what was wrong? My 7 month white Austra did this exact thing this morning, but she seems otherwise normal. Pretty sure she laid an egg yesterday too.

Back
Top Bottom