Chicken standing in nest at night

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by RoadILand-YT, Jan 4, 2017.

1. RoadILand-YT

RoadILand-YT New Egg

Dec 31, 2016
    Tucson, Arizona
    Hi. I have 5 month old pullets. 4 started to lay regularly. One of them hasn't shown any signs of laying (or ready to lay even) until tonight. She is just standing in the nesting box. She isn't displaying signs of egg bound but I am worrying because I have read that it is rare for a chicken to lay at night. Could it be she is just adjusting to something happening to her that is new to her? At what point should I worry because she has just been standing in the box for a few hours now (going on 5 hours).
    Many thanks from a new chicken owner. If it helps I have Rhode Island whites.

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    New layers can lay on a night time - i know that I've found eggs under the roost. I'd say that your theory is correct - I'm sure that it can be a rather confusing time for a pullet when she is about to lay her first egg. As long as she is showing no signs of distress, personally, I'd leave her to it (but keep a close eye on her).

ETA: you may wish to search "egg bound" as that should help you what to look for if she continues to stand in the nest box.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
  3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I've observed the 'standing stock still' when a soft shelled egg is moving thru.
    Might want to take a look back there if she hasn't passed anything yet...
    ...or at least take her out of the nest and put her on the ground/floor to make sure she is mobile.

4. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

Chickens start to investigate nest boxes.....They really have no clue on what they are doing, although the drive to lay eggs is there....They preform a lot of silly things until they start laying....All normal Pullet behaviour......Once laying they might spend hours in a nest box....Not Broody just Silly....I toss them out and collect my eggs and then go through the same silly things the next day...

Cheers!

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    "chickens really," summed it up nicely. Eggs often ' surprise ' pullets and they can't imagine what happened.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by