chicken starter medicated- how long?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by camaro10, Jun 1, 2010.

1. camaro10

camaro10 Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2010
    Bucksport, Maine
    When do I stop giving the medicated starter feed to my chicks? They are 5 weeks old tomorrow.

2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Hi, [​IMG]

I usually feed starter until 16-18 weeks, then switch to layer feed. It depends upon how fast that particular group is maturing as to when I switch.

Some folks feed other feeds between starter and layer, but I never have simply because flock raiser and other interim feeds are rarely available where I am.

3. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    The package of my medicated starter says to feed it to the chicks exclusively for the first 8 weeks.

However, I found a great deal on a 50 lb bag, so I am thinking I'll feed it to my chicks til they're 16 weeks or so, or until the starter feed runs out.

Then I'll switch to a layer feed. I figure I'll run out of feed when they're about that age, and can transition to the other kind.

4. bturbo87

bturbo87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    south
    depending on how many chicks you have and how addicted you get youd be surprised how fast that 50 lb bag goes. we went from 2 to 8 to 19 to 40, and of course the 5 lb bag, then the 25 lb bag, and now the 50 lb bag, all in the space of about a month and a half.

5. felidaet

felidaet Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2008
    Vancouver, Wa.
    Look at the bag of feed. It depends upon who made the feed. I use Purina Start and Grow. I will feed them this until they are about 18 weeks old. Then I will switch to Purina Layena pellets.

6. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    My feed mill feed says to feed until 8 weeks. Mine will probably run out at about 10 weeks. I will then get 20% pullet grower (unmedicated). Keep in mind that in many places Purina Start N Grow comes in both medicated & non medicated. You have to ask for which one you want.

7. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I feed 20% starter until around 18-20 weeks. Silkies stay on it longer. I always use the non-medicated feed and havent had any problems with coccida.

8. bigoakhunter

bigoakhunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Michigan
    If it's medicated , then feed to about 8 weeks. Then switch to a Non-medicated grower till 16 weeks to 18 weeks when they get ready to lay, then go to a good layer feed. Some companies have a starter/grower that you can feed longer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by