chicken stock

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by rypie13, Oct 27, 2008.

1. rypie13

rypie13 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2008
    Hey, I was wondering if anyone cans their chicken stock, or do you just freeze it? I would like to know since with the three freezers I have, 1 has lots of cornish x in it, one has lots of beef and freezer jam, and one is for my everyday stuff, so I would like to store it on a shelf. Does it need to be canned by a steam canner or a pressure canner? If Pressure, how much and how long?
    If anyone has any answers it would be so appreciated, I did a google search and it didn't tell me anything, so I was sure someone here would know!!!!
    Thanks! [​IMG]

2. miron28

miron28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    lenoir north carolina
    that is a gooood question i hope someone knows?

3. MrGreenJeans

MrGreenJeans Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2008
    COS
    I'll see if my local co op lists anything, but for now here's a quick link.

From what I've read/recall - meat/stock is a pretty low acid food, so you have to go with a pressure canner to get the temps up high enough to kill off bacteria.

4. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    I freeze mine.

Boil, reduce by to 1/3, cool, freeze, boom yer dun.

5. rypie13

rypie13 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2008
    Thank you so much for all the replies. The link was very helpful (for even more than this question) So Thanks!
    Maybe this is a stupid question, but when you can pears and other fruit in a steam canner are they considered to have a higher acid content? I know that they say not to can veggies in the steam kind, but steamers are a little more user friendly - did you see the monster canner on that site! It was HUGE!
    Anyway, just a thought - I was kinda hoping to get away with steam, but oh well. Thanks again -

6. MrGreenJeans

MrGreenJeans Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2008
    COS
    No, no - never a stupid question, especially when it comes to food safety! It would be such a bummer to spend the time and effort raising animals or crops, then processing and canning them, only to have them go bad (or worse, explode in your cupboard!).

The short answer to your question is yes. The longer answer is some light reading.

However, I'd keep greyfields advice in mind as well [​IMG]

7. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    We use to make stock out of the chicken feet. We did what greyfield did, no canning required.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by