Chicken Stock

ep.gif
more power to you girl!!
ep.gif

Miss P. I fixed a turkey breast the other night and then roasted the carcass and then threw it into the crockpot with an unpeeled onion, carrots and celery and covered it all with water and pepper, no salt..so that can be added later. It smells soo good!! I have two large containers of it in the deep freeze now. Now I need to get some beef soup bones and I will be happy. thanks so much.

You're welcome! I made a batch of stock last week and we used it to boil potatoes in. Then used that for soup stock another night. LOL My kids couldn't get enough soup!

I just love making soup, although, I have to admit the only soup I make anymore is Italian soup. You would think I was Italian instead of Irish.
lau.gif

I fix pasta at least once a week
big_smile.png
It probably won't last much longer since the weather is changing.

I have a room out in the barn I can convert to a nice bedroom with a sitting area. You do all the chores and I'll give you meals. LOL

Miss P,

I have been WB canning for years but I just bought a 23qt pressure canner. I am itchin' to try it out. When you refrigerate your stock before canning do you reheat it to hot pack it or do you pack it cold? If you pack it cold, do you increase the canning time?

I hot pack when I can. I have never cold packed for the pressure canner so I don't know but it would stand to reason you would have to leave them longer to make sure the temps get high enough in the jars to kill of bacteria.

Ok, I get how to make stock, and I want to do it with my birds, but I'm wondering exactly how to use it. As in, if I'm making soup, how much stock goes in? Is that the only liquid I'd use, or do you also add water to the soup? Can it be used in recipies that call for chicken broth, or do you have to add something to it/use actual "broth," etc. Some ideas as to what to "do" with the stock would be great. I have 21 birds to do, and I'm thinking about using the backs/feet for stock, but I'm not sure exactly what that will get me in the end. I guess what I'm asking, is what exactly can I do with the stock? I've only ever used broth before. A basic soup and "broth" recipe using the stock would be great.

When I cook chicken and save the bones I cover them with water and set them to slow cook until the broth is very dark. Sometimes I will add more water and cook it another 12 - 24 hours very slow. When you cook it long and slow when it gets cold it will set up like jelly - this is actually how jelly was once made.

Any way when it is super thick and rich I use 1 quart of broth and 1 quart of water - sometimes even 2 quarts of water.

Chicken stock is chicken broth. Don't add salt. Taste it before you pour a quart into a recipe. If you think it is much too rich cut it with some water.

When I cook down the bones and strain off the broth I put it into jars and put it in my freezer - because i do a huge roaster pan full and ofetn get 6 quarts or more. When i need it I take it out of the freezer and let it thaw. You can speed up the process by opening the jar and microwaving it for 8 minutes.

Use it in place of water in savory recipes.

Open a quart and use it to cook noodles in, toss in some slivers of chicken, chopped onion, carrots and celery and serve the best chicken noodle soup you ever tasted.

There are tons of uses for meat broths - to make gravey, to serve as simple clear soup for a person with a weak stomach recovering from an illness, to sip from a cup on a freezing day when you need something to warm your bones, to make mashed potatoes, to thin purees, to make your own baby foods.

Tons and tons of yummy uses.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom