Chicken stopped laying, will she lay eggs again?

summer11963

Hatching
Feb 15, 2016
Sag Harbor, New York
Looking for some help. I had 12 chickens and recently a predator got all but one. Coop & run were both very secure, it was a sad day. So now my one White Wyandotte hen has stopped laying. She is 3.5 years old. I have since moved her to a new property (from my parents house to mine). She has a perfectly clean coop with plenty of clean pine shavings and straw. Fresh Water & clean food (her food has not changed). I also feed her vegetables. Her run is clean with ample space, and she gets to go free range in a good sized back yard on the regular. I have an egg in both nesting boxes to help promote laying. I will be getting more chickens but its the fall and with the cold weather on it's way I have to wait till spring. I'm assuming she is scarred 'egg less' after the attack on the rest of the flock? Or maybe because she is the only chicken? Will she lay again, what can I do? Thank you in advance!

It sounds like multiple reasons to stop laying.
The attack
Being an only chicken after being part of a large flock
Being moved to new property /coop
Maybe you can find some hens or close to laying pullets to integrate in with her for the winter. They really need other chickens to live with. They dont do well alone. And they usually snuggle up pretty close on the roost at night in the winter to stay warm here so im sure she would benefit in more ways than one if you gave her a few flock mates before winter

Hi, welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Other poster already have done well answering your questions. I will just add, that it could be a while before she is comfortable to lay again. But just give her time to recover.

Sorry for your loss!

Stress, and the time of year are the main contributors to not laying. At her age, it's likely that she won't start laying again till spring is on the way. In the meantime, and keep those treats limited.

Stress, and the time of year are the main contributors to not laying. At her age, it's likely that she won't start laying again till spring is on the way. In the meantime, and keep those treats limited.
Ditto Dat^^^^

Curious tho, how did a predator kill 11 birds in a "very secure" coop and run?

welcome-byc.gif

Even without the attack and move, I'd not expect a 3+ year old hen to lay through the winter, unless supplemental lighting was used.

I'd just let her take a break for the winter, sounds like she's earned it
smile.png
. After Solstice, as the days start getting longer, she'll come back into lay. Probably have eggs around Easter.

Back
Top Bottom