chicken stopped laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sallyjayd, Aug 17, 2010.

1. sallyjayd

sallyjayd Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2009
    Pennsylvania
    I have a RIR (mix) who was laying all winter (with a light) and now has stopped.

I normally get 3 eggs, somedays only 2. and I have four chickens. all winter I was getting 4 eggs with 3 occationally.

I think she stopped around 3-4 months ago I thought she might be taking turns with the barren rock (mix) I also have to sex-links red who I believe are laying every day. but now the RIR isn't even doing the squat (egg squat) she keep running everyone else is doing the squat as soon as you get close.

Is something wrong and how can I get her to start she should be 2years 4 months now. So she should be to old right.

HELP My husband is threatening the table and I really just want the eggs.

2. NonnasBabies

NonnasBabies Muddy Acre Farms Premium Member

Sep 20, 2009
    On the Farm!
    Depending on how old it is where you live it could be the heat! I know I've reading others say theirs have stopped laying!!

Good Luck

Missi

3. sallyjayd

May 18, 2009
    Pennsylvania
    I live in pa and it muggy but hasn't been record highs or any thing?
    Would a fan work?

4. NonnasBabies

NonnasBabies Muddy Acre Farms Premium Member

Sep 20, 2009
    On the Farm!
    Quote:You could try anything I guess!! What about moulting?? Could that be a possibility??

Missi

5. sallyjayd

May 18, 2009
    Pennsylvania
    These are are first chicken ever had and still am learning

moulting? no one is losing any feathers what else would I look for in the way of moulting and how long does it take? it's been at least 3 months and does that stop the squat (egg squat) she hasn't squated in at least a month. I thought it was a toss up who wasn't laying until she stopped doing it. now we are sure it is her who is slacking.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by