Chicken Stopped Roosting

19marvinn

Chirping
Jul 1, 2015
Within the past week, one of my Wyandottes stopped sleeping on the roost at night. All her life she's slept up there but now she doesn't. I don't really care that she doesn't go up there but she's kinda in the line of poo fire. Also, is this an unhealthy habit? Thanks for any help!:)

Is she molting, that can cause some to sleep in the nest, or not feeling good is another, and if there's not enough roosts space, did you add anymore chickens.

How old is she? Two of my aging hens have taken to sleeping on the floor tucked under a nest box, snuggling together and looking pretty darned cozy. I leave them alone since they aren't hurting anything.

Most of the time they don't poop, but sometimes they deposit some during the night, easily scooped up in the morning. It's not a health problem as I see it.

There are times, though, when a hen will stopped trying to roost due to conflicts on the perch at roosting time. If they're low in the pecking order, sometimes they just give up and quit trying to compete for a spot on the perch and they sleep where they can find a peaceful spot.

You might observe your chickens at roosting time to see if this might be the reason your Wyandotte isn't roosting. I've hung divider curtains at strategic intervals along the perch that I can unhook from the ceiling and let hang down between two hens that want to fight. It really helps keep the peace.

It could be because they are reaching sexual maturity and there's more enforcement of the pecking order at that age, she might be your bottom hen, I would observe them during the roost time to see how they are getting along, more roost options could be your answer.

I have 2, 4 feet roosts in the coop. There is plenty of roosting space. Yes its 4x4
Just barely enough roosting space, enough to sleep on, yes..... but not enough to get settled on.
Coop is half as big as the realistic minumum should be for 8 birds.

Back
Top Bottom