1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken straining and holding it's mouth open

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by modestmaiden62, Oct 13, 2015.

1. modestmaiden62

modestmaiden62 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2014
    I had a rooster that when I through them their food he would start to peck at the food then hold his neck up and have his mouth open. I had noticed this behavior for a while then the other day I found him dead. I was just wondering what was wrong? I have been reading about sour and impacted crop and don't know if that is what it was or if he had something in is throat. Unfortunately I burned his body before I read about all this today so I can't dissect to investigate it now. I was just wondering.
    Thanks for any insight I can get. Now I just need to find another Lavender Orpington to replace him.

2. Ameraucanas

Ameraucanas Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2015
    I do not know. My chickens do that occasionally, but they all seem to be fine. I am really sorry about your loss.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by