Chicken struggling to breath? Not worms?

RandomChickenGuy

In the Brooder
May 7, 2023
Some information to note before I explain the current symptoms

- Slightly green brown poo, all my chickens have it, vet said there fecal was fine, had anathor chickens poo checked for parasites while she was getting a injection and none were found.

- 3 years old

- She is the only one showing signs of being sick

- Has had issues with breathing for awhile, (about 2 or 3 months) assumed she was more sensitive to the heat then others (we have been having record breaking heat), but she was panting even when it was cold/cool, and if she moved a lot she would struggle to breath. (During the heat they got a wet ground, misters, frozen food ect, but she was still panting when others weren't)

- Very hormonal, she changes depending on the season but she's been sassy for longer then usual (I assume because of the hot weather)

-She was puking mucus (sour crop/impacted) , she was treated and was fine for awhile, she started puking yellow mucus again about 1-2 months ago) (aswell as sometimes watermelon or cucumber would feed her)
---------------------------------------
(Current)

- In the past 2 days she has drastically went from panting more then usual to struggling to breath, rasping, and gurgling

-She has no other symptoms accept breathing problems and occasional "puking"

- I might add that she also eats and eats even when her crop is very full but she doesn't have sour or impacted (could be her hormones)

-Shes eating drinking, and otherwise doing fine except for breathing problems

if you have any questions or would like a video let me know^^

Last edited:
Puking is not normal.
Address the crop symptom and see if you can get that moving and emptying overnight.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Do you note any fluid or bloat in her abdomen below the vent between her legs?
She may be having some reproductive difficulties. Cancer, Internal laying, Salpingitis, tumors, EYP, etc., can be common in laying hens and cause respiratory distress.

@WyropRock Update: we took her to the vet because we couldn't figure out what was wrong. The vet noticed she had breathing problems but couldn't figure out why and said it could be swollen ovaries or respiratory. The vet gave us respiratory medication and she's almost through with it. She's no longer puking and her breathing is a little bit better but she's still having issues. She also won't eat any other food but small stuff like grains, she wont eat her favorites banana, or tomato nothing. Everytime I give her some she shakes her head or eats it and kinda struggles to breath and doesn't eat anymore. She and all the other chickens are now shaking there heads more frequently then before. She also has this weird colored poop(it's normal but has a yellow hue) ? Idk if it's from the medication or banana but is this normal? Her feathers are also still dull and haven't changed back to there original color.

Attachments

• IMG_20231001_103713854.jpg
    IMG_20231001_103713854.jpg
    764.9 KB · Views: 5
I'm glad you were able to see the vet.

What antibiotic did they give you?

I'd check to make sure her crop is emptying overnight.
Do look inside her ears to make sure there's not mites or infection. Check the rest of her body to for any lice or mites.

@Wyrop Rock how do you check for ear mites? She also suddently stopped laying eggs and she's been distant/her tail has been down.. could she be egg bound? I'll also check for mites tonight and see if her crop is emptying tomorrow.

@Wyrop Rock how do you check for ear mites? She also suddently stopped laying eggs and she's been distant/her tail has been down.. could she be egg bound? I'll also check for mites tonight and see if her crop is emptying tomorrow.
See the photo below for the location of the ear, if you move the little tuft of feathers, you will be able to see into the ear canal. The inside of the ear should look clean, with no angry/irritated skin. If there's mites or infection, you'll see debris/mites and/or yellowish pus.

If she's standing with her tail down, then you are correct to think she may be having trouble with an egg. I'd start with giving her Extra Calcium immediately, this can often help them expel an egg. Aim for 600mg Calcium Citrate if you have it or you can use TUMS.

1696387507872.png

Photo Ref

Back
Top Bottom