Chicken stuck during pipping

42chickenlane

Hatching
Jan 23, 2021
One of my chicken eggs started pipping, unzipped 1/4 of the way on day 21 and stopped. It’s day 22, I can see the beak, it chirps often but just isn’t doing anything anymore. My other viable embryos have successfully hatched. What should I do at this point?

Attachments

• 4F356796-4D23-47A0-B5F2-563CEFF41876.jpeg
    4F356796-4D23-47A0-B5F2-563CEFF41876.jpeg
    233.4 KB · Views: 10
One of my chicken eggs started pipping, unzipped 1/4 of the way on day 21 and stopped. It’s day 22, I can see the beak, it chirps often but just isn’t doing anything anymore. My other viable embryos have successfully hatched. What should I do at this point?
I believe it maybe a sticky chick. See if the membranes is sticking to the chicks down? If so use alittle coconut oil, or water, & dab on the sticky portions of the chick, & carefully remove shell, & membrane with a toothpick?

I've had this happen a few times.

Success! Thank you Mystery Chicken. I got the chick out of the egg successfully yesterday afternoon. Kept it in the incubator for the night, moved it to the brooder this morning since it was almost 72hrs since it pipped and got stuck. It still has some bare skin and seems to have some very dry skin patches. Suggestions?

Success! Thank you Mystery Chicken. I got the chick out of the egg successfully yesterday afternoon. Kept it in the incubator for the night, moved it to the brooder this morning since it was almost 72hrs since it pipped and got stuck. It still has some bare skin and seems to have some very dry skin patches. Suggestions?
That's good.

I wouldn't be worried about that, it happens sometimes when this happens to chicks.

Back
Top Bottom