Chicken suddenly decided to roost outside coop

Goldenlace

In the Brooder
Aug 12, 2022
My 4 Wyandotte hens suddenly decided to stop going in Coop at night. Note that my coop is inside the run so they can go inside coop freely. They had been going inside coop each evening since Sept however 3 nights ago they decided to sleep on an outside rooster bar. When I first noticed it Input each one in coop and push their door almost shut. They stayed in and pushed it open in morning. Next evening they were back on outside roost for the night. I have checked everything and nothing is different and nothing has happened to scare them. Should I start putting them back inside each night and closing the door until start going inside coop again in evening? They have continued to go in the coop to lay during the day.

Many years ago, I had four EE seven-month old pullets in their own coop. One morning, I went out to find one had died during the night. That following night, the surviving three refused to go into the coop. It was getting dark and I finally was able to coax them inside, but they refused to roost.

Each in turn got held and comforted and gently placed on the perch. I finished up by talking softly to all of them and finished by stroking each one on the head.

They had been so traumatized by the one dying during the night that they were certain it was going to take place again and again. I needed to wipe those notions from their heads, and then they trusted the coop again.

You should assume something took place to make your chickens think the coop isn't a safe place. Put them in the coop for the next few nights and talk to them in a reassuring way. Then close them inside.

If you have rats and snakes, there could be visitors at night. This would be enough to put the chickens off wanting to roost in the coop. Chickens must be absolutely certain a coop is safe because night time is a very vulnerable time for chickens.

If I were you, I would take steps to be sure there are no rats or other night time visitors, including coop mites. Run a damp white rag over the perch after dark to check for mites. You could lay a cookie sheet filled with fine sand or dirt just inside the coop entrance to trap footprints to monitor if rodents or snakes are coming inside the coop at night.

Many years ago, I had four EE seven-month old pullets in their own coop. One morning, I went out to find one had died during the night. That following night, the surviving three refused to go into the coop. It was getting dark and I finally was able to coax them inside, but they refused to roost.

Each in turn got held and comforted and gently placed on the perch. I finished up by talking softly to all of them and finished by stroking each one on the head.

They had been so traumatized by the one dying during the night that they were certain it was going to take place again and again. I needed to wipe those notions from their heads, and then they trusted the coop again.

You should assume something took place to make your chickens think the coop isn't a safe place. Put them in the coop for the next few nights and talk to them in a reassuring way. Then close them inside.

If you have rats and snakes, there could be visitors at night. This would be enough to put the chickens off wanting to roost in the coop. Chickens must be absolutely certain a coop is safe because night time is a very vulnerable time for chickens.

If I were you, I would take steps to be sure there are no rats or other night time visitors, including coop mites. Run a damp white rag over the perch after dark to check for mites. You could lay a cookie sheet filled with fine sand or dirt just inside the coop entrance to trap footprints to monitor if rodents or snakes are coming inside the coop at night.
Thank you I will try these things. I don’t think rats or snakes are the problem but anything is possible.

When I first noticed it Input each one in coop and push their door almost shut. They stayed in and pushed it open in morning.
So they are not securely locked into coop at night?
I'm going to assume your run is predator proof,
then there's no need for them to go into coop at night.

Pics of your coop and run would help here.
Also......
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1680346968420.png

So they are not securely locked into coop at night?
I'm going to assume your run is predator proof,
then there's no need for them to go into coop at night.

Pics of your coop and run would help here.
Also......
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 3451225
I’m in NC and my run is about as predator proof as can get. Fort Knox. (I haven’t locked them in coop since they have always went inside it at night (after their initial coop training). I am thinking that with them roosting outside in run night predators would be more likely than if they were inside coop even with door open.

I’m in NC and my run is about as predator proof as can get. Fort Knox. (I haven’t locked them in coop since they have always went inside it at night (after their initial coop training). I am thinking that with them roosting outside in run night predators would be more likely than if they were inside coop even with door open.
Might draw more preds.
Try removing the outside roost or move it lower than the roost in the coop.

How's the size and ventilation in the coop?
Might be too crowded as birds grow bigger and/or stuffy due to higher temps.

Might draw more preds.
Try removing the outside roost or move it lower than the roost in the coop.

How's the size and ventilation in the coop?
Might be too crowded as birds grow bigger and/or stuffy due to higher temps.
Ventilation very good. I’ll measure the width of them together on outside roost today and measure the roost inside to make sure there’s enough room. Thanks for prompting me to check that

Should I start putting them back inside each night and closing the door until start going inside coop again in evening?
That's what I would do. It sounds like these are the only chickens you have so that simplifies it. And September was six months ago so they are older than that. Close to full sized.

Photos can prove interesting and might help us. The roost mite check is a good idea. Removing or lowering the roost in the run might work. But sometimes they make changes like this and you can never figure out why. You said there were no changes but light is important in a lot of things to do with their behaviors. When looking for changes you might consider street lights or security lights either coming on or going off. It doesn't have to be inside the coop. A change to the pecking order could change flock dynamics. Sometimes something you'd never consider could frighten them.

It can be really hard to figure out why they switched. But locking them in there every night until they switch back is how I'd approach solving it.

Back
Top Bottom